New Fantasy Anthology (aka the DISTAFF women again...)

I think before we get further into this we remember this thread is on the open boards, accessible to anyone and everyone, whether members or otherwise.

Of course we're happy to be open to prospective readers so they can see our coming together and they can get excited with us as we move forward with the anthology. But there are some decisions and discussions we perhaps should leave behind closed doors.

I'd suggest we leave the issue of the cover alone for now, so no more talk of it, please.

Once we know for sure who is joining us in the anthology, I'll use my moddy powers to open a conversation thread for all of us and we can continue talking there about everything. I can always add other contributors later if anyone is late joining, and they can catch up afterwards.

I think before we get further into this we remember this thread is on the open boards, accessible to anyone and everyone, whether members or otherwise.

Of course we're happy to be open to prospective readers so they can see our coming together and they can get excited with us as we move forward with the anthology. But there are some decisions and discussions we perhaps should leave behind closed doors.

I'd suggest we leave the issue of the cover alone for now, so no more talk of it, please.

Once we know for sure who is joining us in the anthology, I'll use my moddy powers to open a conversation thread for all of us and we can continue talking there about everything. I can always add other contributors later if anyone is late joining, and they can catch up afterwards.
Seconding this. Without content there is no book. Get that in first then the imagery.
But I agree that we need to be very secure that we have the correct permissions in place.

Well, we better make some money on this anthology, because I was out shopping today -- REAL SHOPPING, IN A SHOP!! -- and I've already spent my share of the royalties!!

As I mentioned above, the symbol for my story would be a fox, but a foxglove would work nearly as well, so when I saw this cushion

foxglove cushion.jpeg

how could I resist?! :giggle:

Okay, so I was hoping to set up editing groups like we did last time once a few people have finished. This is what I'm suggesting, based on where everyone is at currently, and taking into account that we've lost Nixie and Teresa. If anyone has any suggestions of ways in this can be improved, or if I've listed your status incorrectly, please PM me and I can make changes. I wanted to try to keep people who are at the same stage roughly together if possible.

I'm hoping the moderators can help to set up PM groups for us, but otherwise you could PM each other and exchange email addresses, or everyone could send their email address to me and I can distribute them, whatever works best.

Group 1
  1. Juliana Spink Mills (finished and edited)
  2. Kerry Buchanan (finished and edited)
  3. Mouse (finished and edited)
  4. Millymollymo (finished and read by KB, but might want the rest of the group to read it as well)
Group 2
  1. Crystal haven (in final stages)
  2. Susan Boulton (finished, needs a few more readers)
  3. Serendipity (finished and read by KB, but might want a few more readers)
Group 3
  1. Abernovo (WIP)
  2. Jo Zebedee (WIP)
  3. The Judge (WIP delayed)
  4. Margaret Note Spelling (WIP)

I can certainly help with the PMs if need be, but I know we had the critique groups set up before which allowed for multi-person conversations. Perhaps as before we have team leaders -- they try and set up the conversations and if it can't be done, I'll step in. (I'm never sure who can and can't do the multi-convo things.)

The only possible suggestion I'd make is that as Serendipity is very much a SF writer, Group 2 might benefit from Jo's extra expertise in fantasy to add to Sue and Crystal's grounding in it. (What, me, trying to reduce my work load down from 3 critiques to 2, never! ;) Though I do note that Aber's and Margaret's together are likely to be in the region of 25K, so y'know, cut me some slack... ;) :p)

ELEVEN stories. Wow! Beats Distaff's nine! (y)

I suppose I'm going suffer withdrawal symptoms... no more list-i-nations! :(

The Judge is right about me being an SF writer.... I don't know fantasy background at all well... so Sue and Crystal might want a more experienced second fantasy party and her suggestion of Jo certainly would fit the bill.

Up to you peoples to decide... I'm easy either way...

Following the advice and suggestions above, I'm now proposing the following, with Team Leaders in bold:

Group 1
  1. Juliana Spink Mills (finished and edited)
  2. Kerry Buchanan (finished and edited)
  3. Mouse (still editing)
  4. Millymollymo (finished and read by KB, but might want the rest of the group to read it as well)
Group 2
  1. Jo Zebedee (WIP)
  2. Crystal haven (in final stages)
  3. Susan Boulton (finished, needs a few more readers)
  4. Serendipity (finished and read by KB, but might want a few more readers)
Group 3
  1. Abernovo (WIP)
  2. The Judge (WIP delayed)
  3. Margaret Note Spelling (WIP)
It would be nice if TJ could set up PM groups (I only seem able to PM one recipient at a time) so we can communicate, but anyone can PM me at any time. Bearing in mind my caring responsibilities, I may not come back to you immediately, but I will reply as soon as I can.

I'd also like to add that some of you have contacted me in private to say that there are things going on in their lives that are causing them some distraction (I use that word with caution, in case it seems I'm belittling the scale of their anxieties, but I don't want give specifics), and that they are having trouble writing at the moment. This is totally understandable at any time, but during this unique period, when medical services are becoming less accessible and stress is increased, it's inevitable. I, personally, would rather we delayed as necessary rather than lose any of you, but I don't want to add pressure to already overburdened people, so please don't think you'll lose respect or friendship if you feel you can't continue.

This is the Sisters of Chrons. We have each other's backs. We're here to support each other. There are no judgements on here (only in an editorial sense, and those are intended to help, not hinder!).

Auntie Kerry x

Last edited:
It would be nice if TJ could set up PM groups (I only seem able to PM one recipient at a time) so we can communicate, but anyone can PM me at any time. Bearing in mind my caring responsibilities, I may not come back to you immediately, but I will reply as soon as I can.
I'm just in the middle of saying hello to my group, and I'll do the others this morning -- I'm hoping I can bow out of them again, so I don't get overwhelmed with everyone's mails!