New Fantasy Anthology (aka the DISTAFF women again...)

Hey, I was playing around with different script/font ideas for the main title on LibreOffice, and came up with something like this as a tentative suggestion.

Any thoughts? I think I had always been imagining some kind of lightly handwriting-esque font for the main "Femme Fae-tales." And when we come to "A Distaff Anthology," I thought we could revert back to the original font for "Distaff", as a callback to the original anthology. (I didn't have anything similar to that, so I just used something contrasting.) Except...has the full title/subtitle been agreed upon yet?

Also, I've got a couple updates on Where Art Thou, Muse. I'm probably going to be significantly rewriting the first third, and making some hefty adjustments to the rest. I'm pretty sure I can finish the main rewrite in ten days or less, although the adjustments may take a bit longer. If I'm not done by the thirtieth, is it all right if I just continue those adjustments as part of the editing process?

Attachments

• SampleTitleScript.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Hey, I was playing around with different script/font ideas for the main title on LibreOffice, and came up with something like this as a tentative suggestion.

Any thoughts? I think I had always been imagining some kind of lightly handwriting-esque font for the main "Femme Fae-tales." And when we come to "A Distaff Anthology," I thought we could revert back to the original font for "Distaff", as a callback to the original anthology. (I didn't have anything similar to that, so I just used something contrasting.) Except...has the full title/subtitle been agreed upon yet?

Also, I've got a couple updates on Where Art Thou, Muse. I'm probably going to be significantly rewriting the first third, and making some hefty adjustments to the rest. I'm pretty sure I can finish the main rewrite in ten days or less, although the adjustments may take a bit longer. If I'm not done by the thirtieth, is it all right if I just continue those adjustments as part of the editing process?

First of all, let me say I'm no artist... what you're suggesting is certainly a nice idea, but would it fit in with the rest of the cover design? For instance would it fit in with an urban fantasy cover of some concrete slums if that was what was chosen to be put on the cover because that was what the majority of the stories was set it? (I hasten to add I don't think the majority of the stories will be urban fantasy, but I don't know what the bias of the stories will be... all I'm certain of is my story will be the oddball in the pack because of what it is...)

I think the cover designer would usually include font choice, etc, from a bank of fonts that wouldn’t usually be included in office-style suites? Or at least, that’s what I always assumed.

@millymollymo did such a wonderful (award-nominated, if I remember correctly) cover last time around that I personally would love to give her free rein this time around, too. Apart from anything else, her design looked amazing on cupcakes at the launch!

Morning all. @Margaret Note Spelling and I have been nattering in DMs about various ideas. She's given me permission to share them here, mostly because of my own reluctance to use a piece of software.
I realise that most folk here won't have the full understanding of the software we are talking about. @Margaret Note Spelling suggests we use Unreal Engine* - a fabulous piece of software that is the key design tool for many games, to form part of the cover. Here's what the software is capable of. It's pretty amazing.

@Margaret Note Spelling has lots of amazing ideas on sorting the cover. Using this software will produce an image (not the final cover) that is very detailed, panoramic and drool worthy. There's a reason people pay hundreds upon hundreds for them.

'Wait, @millymollymo,' I hear you cry :ROFLMAO: 'what then is the source of your reluctance, pray tell?'

I don't have the time to learn how to use this, ( I prefer software I discovered via Dublin's GoH - Daz3d*, which I then manipulate in Illustrator, Gimp, and Photoshop** depending on my mood) and @Margaret Note Spelling has kindly offered to put in the effort and hours coming to grips with the software.

Terms of use for Unreal are... unreally complex. see here:
Unreal Engine | Publishing EULA
and here
There's also some royalty issues. I've had hubby (law trained, no longer practising) look over it, it's not his area but his opinion was 'Not willing to bet on it.'
I am not willing to risk it therefore and won't use Unreal. I might be wrong on the ToS and permissions, as I know it's used in a lot of game dev. Daz3d gets around this by licensing the images as you go, buying what you need.

Femme Fae-Tales is a different beast, and can have a different cover completely, it doesn't need me to work on it. I would need to be 100% certain that the images are legal for profit based (commercial) use.

@Margaret Note Spelling - have I covered everything?

* Massively powerful professional software Gaming industry standard.
** equally powerful image editing software for manipulating Massively powerful software's finished art. Everything else industry standard.

I can see where you're going with this, there' potential. Personally, I would be reluctant to mix the fonts, though. I can see why you've brought in the Distaff version, it's a good starting point unfortunately for me it clashes. I think it would need to be bolder too. It would also depend on what imagery sits behind it.
Lots of design factors, I guess.

There's also some royalty issues. I've had hubby (law trained, no longer practising) look over it, it's not his area but his opinion was 'Not willing to bet on it.'
It's waaaay outside my previous contract experience since I barely stubbed a toe on Intellectual Property Rights and the like, but I agree with your husband.

As informal legal adviser to the group I'm making a recommendation that unless we can get a 100% guarantee that we can use it for free for a cover and there will no question of payment of any kind at any time, we don't touch it.

And since as a co-operative we're all effectively liable as individuals for anything and everything the group does, if this stuff is used for a cover without such a 100% guarantee to my satisfaction, then, regrettably, ladies, I'm out of it.

Sorry ladies, I don't think I have the energy or motivation to finish this at moment.
I'm really sorry for wasting your time.
Sorry to hear this, nixie. Look after yourself and your family. We looking forward to you joining us in our next venture!!

Regarding the 30 June deadline, just to confirm it isn't a hard cut-off date. For myself, I'm going to have to put my story on hold for a while since I'm under contract to get something else done so my time for the next 10-14 days will be taken up with that. So I for one will probably need an extension into July.

And for Rosie's list as and when she updates it, I'm currently at around 4,500 words on my story with just one long and difficult scene left to write.

Sorry ladies, I don't think I have the energy or motivation to finish this at moment.

You haven't wasted anyone's time, @nixie. You've had so much to deal with, I'm in awe of you for even considering writing a story. Take care of yourself, and I hope life will deal you some better cards in the near future.

Also, as to deadlines, I'll be delighted if it's extended because I've become caught up in a whirlwind project, on top of the other projects I had scheduled for the next couple of months.

Last edited:
You are a bunch of talented ladies, I will say that!

As to my story, I should have a version ready to submit by the end of the week ready to be pulled apart. Though I am pretty sure it is a lot better than last time, due to Kerry and Juliana.

Details: main character - female. Themes; love, death, and rebirth. There is magic ;) Setting: equal to late Victorian/early 1900's

Digitalised huggings winging your way, Nixie. Sorry you feel unable to produce a story for this anthology.

Commiserations on having to adhere to being one of life's slaves to go to work, Jo, but can understand where you're coming from

List update.
  1. Juliana Spink Mills - done and had it critiqued and done the edits. 8900 words.Title - Taste of Honey
  2. Kerry Buchanan - done and had it critiqued (and maybe still hunting typos!., 8900 words. Title - Fae-tal Attraction
  3. Mouse - done and had it critiqued. 5100 words. Title - The Frog Prince
  4. millymollymo - done and editing (maybe with a few flounces). c. 8600 words. Working title - White Bridge Heroes.
  5. Serendipity - after a mad rush of blood to the head, produced and edited story. 5500 words. Title - A Fooling Time
  6. Susan Boulton - will finish editing by deadline. c. 3000 words. Title - Full Circle.
  7. crystal haven - almost reached minimum word count of 3000
  8. Abernovo - just over two-thirds written, but struggling to find the time c. 8500 words.
  9. The Judge - inspiration struck now got 4500 words done, but may need a bit extra time to finish story
  10. Teresa Egerton - unknown
  11. Maybe Margaret Note Spelling - first draft done. Structural editing started - c. 14000 Title Where Art Thou, Muse?
Sorry to not see Nixie and Jo Zebedee join us. If inspiration or enthusiasm strikes in time, we would love to see you in the anthology.

Running word count = 8900+8900+5100+8600+5500+3000+3000+8500+4500+14000 = 70000

@The Judge

I agree with you 100%, and does this change the equation?

One thing that might not be clear from what @millymollymo said--for me, it won't take hours and hours figuring out how to manipulate the software, since I have, in fact, used Unreal before. Right now it's just sitting unused on the desktop computer with all our unfinished projects on it.

Last edited:
Mine:
Setting – present day, set in Connecticut, USA countryside
Device – corn dollie
Fae Type – nature deity (possibly fae or something else; not really explained), dark

Big hugs Nixie. I hope things get better for you soon.

Had me worried there for a bit, @Jo Zebedee
Thank you @Juliana & @Susan Boulton for your info :D

@Margaret Note Spelling - I love your passion for the cover ideas, you've suggested some amazing things, like you we all want what's best. Hitting the reader between the eyes in a crowded Amazon screen is paramount. Please do understand that Unreal really isn't needed to pull off a professional cover. You are making extra work for yourself. Between Illustrator, Photoshop, Daz Studio and some off screen magic, It's possible to stand out from the crowd.

Last edited:
I know! And whatever you guys decide is fine. I'm simply here and willing if you do want to try for one. If not, then it's okay.

(Do you need me to drop the issue? :p I just didn't think it had been definitely decided yet.)

Forgive me. I know how precious this may come across as. I do not have any desire to lecture.

This is a co-operative venture, @Margaret Note Spelling - it means all options are possibilities. Show everyone what you can do so they can see what is on offer here.
I did not wish to, and still do not want to prevent the others from having access to something I know could be stunning.
I know what I'm capable of. I'm not versed in Unreal.

One thing that might not be clear from what @millymollymo said--for me, it won't take hours and hours figuring out how to manipulate the software, since I have, in fact, used Unreal before. Right now it's just sitting unused on the desktop computer with all our unfinished projects on it.
You are. And I am in awe. Manipulating forms, using textures; it's fiddly, and that's just landscapes. Rendering can take hours on a high res - right now with two kids needing access to my work machines for school study, I can't give that. If you can, brilliant.

But:
1. It's more than just time. It's more than having access to the machine I know can churn out the blinding render.

The legal mess isn't something I am willing to get involved in. I know where Distaff's images went, how many times it was displayed and what publications it went in. Those images that needed permission, I ensured we had.
This is all part of the decision tree.
I can not, in good heart, take the work of the authors who will be represented in any work I create, not just this anthology, and leave them open to the mess of a cease and desist, removal from all publications, lose a sizable chunk of the royalties, and potentially in worst case scenario pay out as well.

You are confident this is not the case. I am not. The fine print is a cow, to say the least, passing the baton from EU to USA and back, via Fan and royalty clauses.
I won't use Unreal. *Stomps foot. Pout for style* I don't need to. The glamour of it would be lost behind secondary blurring (endless layering) to enable focus on the title, what is done to draw the eye, the geometrics of it all.
I suspect there are covers out there that have used the software. I won't use an image from Unreal in my cover creations because I do not have the time/need to spend the time to discover if it's possible, legal, and what is involved to do so.

It's not a case of 'someone's wrong on the net'. I know how this can aide in career directions and so on. It is for everyone here to decide, what, how, who. Not me to presume. I want to be as inclusive as possible. I want the best for the cover, and the anthology.

I really do hope that's clear to all.
I'm not sure it is to me any more!