DISCUSSION THREAD -- April 2020 -- 85-Word Writing Challenge

Hey, what works. I need to think of something myself...I don't know if anyone actually understood my entry last time, to be honest...

Thanks lol. Maybe I should've read it more carefully. I'm just excited because I wrote mine already.
Yep. Me too. One of the very few days when "I only managed 85 words." is a good thing.
Now the tricky part, a title that won't be a spoiler:unsure:

Yep. Me too. One of the very few days when "I only managed 85 words." is a good thing.
Now the tricky part, a title that won't be a spoiler:unsure:

I already have my title. Not sure if it spoils anything, but I think it sets the mood. Interestingly, I used to use the Ray Bradbury technique where I come up with the title before the plot. This website has changed me.

I already have my title. Not sure if it spoils anything, but I think it sets the mood. Interestingly, I used to use the Ray Bradbury technique where I come up with the title before the plot. This website has changed me.
Titles are an art in themselves. I don't know if there has been a thread here on crafting them?

Well, in my experience, it's better to wait a little bit, try to get somewhere in the middle, perhaps. But then again, that's my own experience, and I really don't ever have much chance against the better, more experienced authors of the site, especially these days...

There used to be a running joke/superstition/strategy around the notion that landing on page 2 gave one the best chance of winning. And believe it or not, I actually hit page 2 a few times. :eek:

It's just occurred to me, does this mean we've had 120 75 word challenges?!
It looks that way from my spreadsheet, but only mosaix (that's you) and The Dusty Zebra appear to have submitted to all of them. Even Ursa's missed one, and I'm at a disappointing 116, as does Parson. Perpetual Man (the introducer of commentaries) stands at 112, Culwch, who I had thought was up there has a mere 103 (as does The Judge), and that's about it for the three figures.

It looks that way from my spreadsheet, but only mosaix (that's you) and The Dusty Zebra appear to have submitted to all of them. Even Ursa's missed one, and I'm at a disappointing 116, as does Parson. Perpetual Man (the introducer of commentaries) stands at 112, Culwch, who I had thought was up there has a mere 103 (as does The Judge), and that's about it for the three figures.

Ursa missed one? When did that happen? I thought there were still three of us in the running.

Ursa missed one? When did that happen? I thought there were still three of us in the running.
OOPS - I had one empty space on his chart, so checked back (to 2011) to discover you're right - with Ursa coming in at the last minute he hadn't hadn't been listed. My infallibility I bought cheap, military surplus.

And the month of stories has begun. Our pre-story conversation is the best in years; maybe ever? One of other OCD members might be keeping track of that. ---- When it comes to OCD I suffer from a little myself!

----------

@Guttersnipe .... "Goodbye, Sugarland" ..... Snipe writes us a sweet story about a sweetness in a world which is better than sugar.

@Bren G .... Chaos .... Bren weaves an evocative tale of beauty and philosophy on an alien world.
Bren, welcome to the 75/85! Nice story, welcome aboard.

@Mouse .... Escape .... Mouse leads us poetically into a world we know exists but do not see, yet still we resonate with her emotional longing.

----------

Wow! Good start people. I emotionally hooked up with each of these tales.

Spreadsheet! I love a spreadsheet!
Surely this can be used to update the statistics area, I also love the statistics :giggle:

Obviously, I dont want to be giving people jobs to do - but given the situation out there, people might be looking for interesting tasks?

@Astro Pen .... Research Field .... A. Pen chronicles the progress of a new world in a surprisingly positive way.

Welcome to the 75/85 Word Challenge. Interesting story.

@AstroZon .... Altonia .... AstroZon reminds us that on a new world the obvious danger isn't always that obvious.

@BigJ .... To Travel Anywhere, While Going Nowhere .... BigJ has us look into a near future world with limited travel, but in reality we can travel anywhere and anywhen with a full portal shelf.

@Marvin .... Missing link .... Marvin brings us to a time when a mind can be opened to a whole world of new possibilities.

Back