DISCUSSION THREAD -- April 2020 -- 85-Word Writing Challenge

@Elckerlyc .... The Baffling Travels of a Hapless Commuter (Pt I) .... Elck tells a tale of travel leading to a politely elegant nonsense world.

@Menolly .... In the depths of the Amazon river .... Meno walks us into a river of mystery and trouble for the unwary.

I doubt I'll have the chance to come up with something in the next 22 hours, and nothing better has come to me yet, so I'm offering up my iffy one.

Well, I don’t know howmuch I hit the theme or genre, but I’m in at least... assuming I counted correctly :cautious:

@AMB .... Fairest of All .... AMB brings into the frustrating world of fairytales from the villain's point of view.

@LittleStar .... What Dreams May .... L. Star slides us into the world of dreams which never seem to end sweetly.

23rd already. Cannot quite believe how quickly the month is passing. I am working from home and each day pretty much feels the same as every other - a classic recipe for time to drag but if anything it feels like it has sped up.

Just popped in to thank Victoria & Parson for taking the time to review each story. I know it takes time and dedication because I thought about doing it but gave up as soon as I hit a story I did not understand. When that happens it makes me realise I am not half as smart as I think I am. I hate being reminded of that. That and my lack of hair.
And my expanding tum, which is a favourite target of my wife.

And I do get easily sidetracked these days

I'm in with a (practically) last minute idea. Thought my brain was going to remain blank all month. Relieved to see it didn't.

I wanted to revisit my very first story here from 10 years ago, so although the tales are very different I've reused a symbol of sympathetic magic (which is a phrase I've wanted to use again but haven't had an opportunity before now!).

This has been a rough month, so whilst determined to get something written, I was far from convinced I'd manage. I really wanted to use an idea I'd been playing with all month, but just couldn't get it to come under the word count. That idea's presently turning into something much longer. But this month kicked off a lot of ideas, so there were options.

I notice The Judge has managed to snag entry number 42, the golden number.

Apologies for what came after it.

Just in case anyone's confused....

Although I've posted my story, the Challenge is open for new entries for about 100 minutes: the Challenge closes just before midnight GMT, not BST.

The single vote may be gamesmanship. If you have entered then voting for three others is against your interests.
I will vote for three because I am an all round good egg :) , but I can see the logic.

ps. Four was easy. Three was difficult, apologies to the fourth.

Last edited:
@Teresa Edgerton .... Planet of Exile .... T. E. tells us a tale of a new world where lessons learned are both remembered and acted upon.

@The Judge .... The Land of Cockaigne .... T. J. brings a kind of balance to a mythic world which was always too good to be true.

@Abernovo .... The Physics of Snow Globes .... Abe puts an interesting twist to one of the major theories of physics and our world.

@Ursa major .... Dwarf World II – Halek Makes a Sale .... Ursa reminds us that even where there are huge gifts the thought is much more important than the gift.

@jacksimmons .... Ganymede .... Jack writes of the beauty that can be seen in every epoch of the cosmic life cycle.
*Nice first story!

@TheDustyZebra .... Greener Grass .... TDZ creates a world whose joy is only experienced by the ones ready to see the world as it truly is.

Last edited:

Back