Revisiting my childhood favorites with my son.

Myheadhurts

I though I had the correct book. Quest by Dorothy Oxley. However it was not. All I can remember about this book was that it had a warrior type character that had his arm replaced with a living metal blade. Surgically attached. And that removing it would cause death. I believe I read it in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s.

otistdog

Perhaps Piers Anthony's Battle Circle trilogy? I haven't read any of it, but another story search site mentions the series as having a similar trope (with a protagonist named Neq the Sword).

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
Don't know the book in question but two recommendations:
Two YA books (though the term didn't exist then) that I enjoyed a lot were Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky and the less read but thoroughly enjoyable
"Ossian's Ride" by Fred Hoyle. Another one Hoyle wrote with his brother Geoffrey was called "Rockets in Ursa Major" Though I don't think they knew him! LoL.

Danny McG

Âryatârâbhattârikânâmâshtottarásatakastotra
I though I had the correct book. Quest by Dorothy Oxley. However it was not. All I can remember about this book was that it had a warrior type character that had his arm replaced with a living metal blade. Surgically attached. And that removing it would cause death. I believe I read it in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s.
Was it a sci fi book with a high tech metal arm?
Or was it more fantasy based with the usual 'warrior on a quest' trope?

psychotick

Dangerously confused
Hi,

Slightly off target but Michael Moorcock's second trilogy of Prince Corum, often called the Silver Hand trilogy. (The bull and the spear, the oak and the ram, and The sword and the stallion.) Corum in the end is slain by his own hand - after it's no longer attached to him that is, thus fulfilling a prophecy.

Cheers, Greg.

Hugh

Supporter
Perhaps Piers Anthony's Battle Circle trilogy? I haven't read any of it, but another story search site mentions the series as having a similar trope (with a protagonist named Neq the Sword).
Unlikely to be Neq the Sword. I don't remember any living quality to the sword, it was just fixed to his arm. He had had both hands cut off. Surgery gave him a sword on one arm and some sort of pincer on the other.

Jarhead75

Two YA books (though the term didn't exist then) that I enjoyed a lot were Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky and the less read but thoroughly enjoyable
"Ossian's Ride" by Fred Hoyle. Another one Hoyle wrote with his brother Geoffrey was called "Rockets in Ursa Major" Though I don't think they knew him! LoL.
Really enjoyed reading Tunnel In The Sky

PaulMmn

If the youngster enjoys Tunnel in the Sky, I suggest he try some of the other Heinlein "juveniles." They were some of the first sci-fi I read, and I remember them fondly!