Concept Albums

Lenny

Press "X" to admire hat
A few more, that might stretch the definition a little, but I think do count:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Murder of the Universe

Nonagon Infinity is written as a loop - the tracks all flow into each other, and you're supposed to be able to play the album on repeat without the sound breaking stride (doesn't quite work, but it's damn close!). Whether concept or not, it's certainly a cracker, driving forward with a common theme and melodic phrases that act as flavour in one song and then appear as the core in another.

Murder of the Universe is closer in definition, with a three-part SF story that weaves its way through the album.

Fun fact: because they're so close in sound and content, it's possible to mix the two albums together, with a little re-ordering, to form a mega narrative.

---

And something a bit lighter:

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love

The Crane Wife is bookended by a retelling of a Japanese folktale, with the rest of the album comprising individual stories that gel in a vague story arc. I think what's important about the album is that it let the band experiment and hone their narrative skills (songs on previous albums still had a story, but nothing really fit together - you maybe had the odd two or three that could be linked in some way), and the followed up with their next album...

...The Hazards of Love. A folk rock opera about a woman, Margaret, who falls in love with a shape-shifting forest dweller, William, with appearances from William's jealous mother, the Forest Queen, and a villainous rake (man, not tool). One of my favourite albums that tells a story, I think second only to War of the Worlds.

Matteo

..The Hazards of Love. A folk rock opera about a woman, Margaret, who falls in love with a shape-shifting forest dweller, William, with appearances from William's jealous mother, the Forest Queen, and a villainous rake (man, not tool). One of my favourite albums that tells a story, I think second only to War of the Worlds.
I have the original by the incredible Anne Briggs (well, not the original EP but it's included on a wonderful "Topic recordings" double LP by Bo Weavil.

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
I love a good concept album, the best ones are the first - Sgt Pepper - then any of the Yes ones, and of course War Of The Worlds.
Don’t know if you caught it but there was a documentary on Sgt Pepper on BBC 4. It’s encouraged me to go learn the aeolian mode:)

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Supporter
The Decemberists reminded me of Babbacombe Lee by Fairport Convention, which was, according to wikipedia, the first "folk rock opera"

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"Babbacombe"_Lee

Edit
The link to the Wiki article gets messed up because of the quote marks.
So here's the quote

The album is a concept album that follows John "Babbacombe" Lee's life story. The events of his life are described in song, from his boyhood through his conviction for murder, sentence of death, and the failure to carry out the sentence. The songs describe his boyhood poverty, his time in the Royal Navy, and his being invalided out. The album then describes how Lee went to work in the service of a Miss Keyes. While Lee was in her service, she was murdered, and he was accused, tried and convicted of the crime, and sentenced to death; however, when authorities attempted to hang him, the gallows failed three times, resulting in his release. These events are all told in song, and all but one of those songs are originals.

Dave Swarbrick has explained that he conceived the album after discovering a file of old newspaper clippings in a junk shop; this file contained John Lee's own copies of the newspaper articles and was bound by him, signed and dated 30 January 1908.

Because of its relatively complete narrative structure, "Babbacombe" Lee has been called a rock opera, and because of the band's musical style, in particular the first folk rock opera.

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
My favourite concept album was Tales of Mystery and Imagination by The Alan Parsons Project. It based around the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

Tales of Mystery and Imagination.jpg

They did a few others, but nothing matched this one.

Guttersnipe

logolept
A few more, that might stretch the definition a little, but I think do count:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Murder of the Universe

Nonagon Infinity is written as a loop - the tracks all flow into each other, and you're supposed to be able to play the album on repeat without the sound breaking stride (doesn't quite work, but it's damn close!). Whether concept or not, it's certainly a cracker, driving forward with a common theme and melodic phrases that act as flavour in one song and then appear as the core in another.

Murder of the Universe is closer in definition, with a three-part SF story that weaves its way through the album.

Fun fact: because they're so close in sound and content, it's possible to mix the two albums together, with a little re-ordering, to form a mega narrative.

---

And something a bit lighter:

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love

The Crane Wife is bookended by a retelling of a Japanese folktale, with the rest of the album comprising individual stories that gel in a vague story arc. I think what's important about the album is that it let the band experiment and hone their narrative skills (songs on previous albums still had a story, but nothing really fit together - you maybe had the odd two or three that could be linked in some way), and the followed up with their next album...

...The Hazards of Love. A folk rock opera about a woman, Margaret, who falls in love with a shape-shifting forest dweller, William, with appearances from William's jealous mother, the Forest Queen, and a villainous rake (man, not tool). One of my favourite albums that tells a story, I think second only to War of the Worlds.
That last one sounds awesome!