HBO's The Plot Against America...

-K2-

Is anyone watching this, the second episode just aired. I watched the first episode and thought, what a well filmed and acted historical series. I didn't give much thought to the fact that Lindbergh was running was running for president. I recall reading about his supposed sympathies and debate about isolationism in the face of nazi aggression, but I shrugged it off. Tonight, at the end of the second episode, Lindbergh won--and it hit me--this is an alternative history story. Then I looked it up.

I'm not familiar with the novel. What I can say is the show is well worth watching for the quality of what I've seen. I would watch it regardless, due to that and the fact that I've had discussions with some folks who lived through the 40s-50s that mentioned the antisemitism they faced even after the war. It seems they're taking the disgusting real life experiences and are about to ramp them up significantly (after reading about the novel).

Again, the quality of the filming, historical sets, cast, and performance makes the series worth watching thus far. The twist I just realized, based on the quality I'm seeing, ought to make this series one I'd suggest taking a look at.

MV5BZTk2NzdhMTItMGRmYS00NGQxLTlkMWQtYmI0MWNlNDJjNWMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

K2

I hated the book and was only interested to see how the Nazis tried to seize control of the U.S. government. I hope the show does a better job.

I'm really enjoying this show. It's well put together, doesn't drag, but doesn't bypass important bits. What's interesting is how poignant this show feels today with a lot of what's gone on here. In any case, if you like retro-shows. I'd suggest it.

K2

Tonight was the series finale, and as I've mentioned, it didn't disappoint throughout. The six show series (again) I found to be well screen written, produced, and acted. I can't comment comparatively to the novel, but I found the show well worth my time and engaging. Where many folks might be disappointed with the lack of high adventure and action, I found the portrayed events and what was often merely suggested more than adequate to hold my attention. More so, the lack of specifics regarding background story events worked perfectly, allowing me to fill in the blanks.

Regarding the plot, I'm going to treat it as a spoiler since I wasn't aware of the story beforehand and enjoyed the surprise reveal:
Essentially, prior to the U.S. involvement into WWII, the country is on edge realizing war is on the horizon. Anti-Semitism is common, as it actually was (**), the Nazi party had U.S. sympathizers and even a movement of its own based more on other racial agendas, and there was a strong isolationism and anti-war movement in the nation. Charles Lindbergh in the movie and real life makes a brief anti-Semitic speech...and here history diverges from the movie.

In real life, Lindbergh's speech is embraced by a large number of Americans--where in truth it was criticized. That said, there was strong anti-Semitic feelings in the U.S. at the time, and that extended into the 1950s (**). In the movie he is said to have met Hitler, in real life he received a medal from him. Henry Ford was an unapologetic anti-Semite--which he was--and in the movie, they very discreetly slip in Lindbergh is running for president (which he didn't), and I shrugged off it's so well portrayed as some obscure background story.

At the end of the second episode, Lindbergh wins the election and suddenly you realize what you ignored in the first two episodes.

The direct story about the justifiable upset the above causes with the Levin family (focal point of the movie), is actually a small story of in and of itself. However, it's actually a very big story with the main cast caught in the middle of it as part of the focal group (Jewish community), but they remain for the most part somewhat insulated except where they press the issue. Gradually that changes, yet again, not to the degree it did in WWII Germany.

The seemingly distant nature of the growing anti-Semitism in the series is actually perfect. The Levin family is justifiably upset, yet past arguing politics, voicing their upset, and yelling at the radio they don't actively take much of a part. Gently, not in outrageous dramatic style, the anti-Semitic movement grows, and by the time they consider taking some form of action, it's too late. The movement has become a slow moving steam roller that now can't be stopped, you can only temporarily get out of the way...and so it goes.

Once to the end of the movie, the situation seems to right itself... yet then you're left with a further 'what if,' which is really more a 'very likely.'

** An individual I never directly met yet spoke with his nephew, grew up in Hollywood, Ca., fought in WWII in the Pacific and so on. Yet, being Jewish, even through the 1950s perhaps even the 60s his love of golf forced him to have his name legally changed. Jews were by country club rules in even that liberal part of the country with a very strong Jewish community, and supported by law, not allowed on the course. So, he was forced to change his name and hide his religion and heritage...just to golf.

In the series and how bias is shown to play out and the undermining of the government by using racial, religious and cultural divisions is very well portrayed in the series. It's not outrageous and glaring, yet subtle and calculated. The series is a good warning for any group of people at any time as to why they need to hold the line to the values they hold dear.

I was impressed by the six part series and would suggest to anyone to watch it. Sets, characters, the political environment, and the plot are all very well executed and credible. The series (again) was both entertaining and engaging...but perhaps more than anything disconcerting regrading the truth of it.

Such changes as instituting and authoritarian government happens slowly. So slow you don't feel the urgency to act...and by the time you do, it's too late.

K2