So who is getting lots of writing done?

Hi,

I don't know what's happened to me lately. My writing's been through the roof since about December, and now that we're in lock down it's only getting worse. I finished Barton Villa Welcomes You and pubbed it a couple of days ago. Currently I'm 22K into the sequel and this is only the fourth day I've been writing it! (And I don't do sequels!) Partly I think, it's that I'm desperately turning off the telly so I don't have to see the unfolding mess all around.

Cheers and good luck to all, Greg.

Partly because I had a lot of spare time, and partly to distract from irritating events, I've been writing flat out all day. I had the rare experience of writing something that I'd planned out very carefully in advance, and ended up doing 3,500 words, the most I've ever done in one day. Blimey.

I'm pretty busy with the kids and the job is still there, just moved online, but somehow there still seems to be more time for everything than when everyone's going to school/work. After a writing dry spell, I finished a new story and subbed it to a contest the other day, so I can't complain.

Well, I have moved past the editing and revision chapters, which went so fast, and now I have moved on to the point where I have to do new scenes and chapters—mostly with familiar characters and continuing on from what they were doing or planning to do when last seen—which will get inserted between the chapters already written. So that's more of a challenge, since for some of them I don't even have notes (but the next, and final, book in the series, I have tons of notes for that), so I am working more slowly now, but I am still working, words have been coming.

Coming up soon, I have to write a big battle scene, but as usual with those I have my resident expert (my husband John) to help me figure out what happens and how. Well, besides what I already know has to happen, to further the rest of the plot, but even there he will help me with the how. There is only the one (relatively brief) battle in this book, so I want it to be a really exciting one.

My first time at the keyboard yesty in a week and a half. Having extra stress and the child not at school means I haven't had the brain,

mostly with familiar characters and continuing on from what they were doing or planning to do when last seen—which will get inserted between the chapters already written. So that's more of a challenge,
Well done for getting back into it, and yes, inserting chapters is a challenge. I was a bit stuck once and some helpful soul suggested "write the end and backfill". I did and I won't make that mistake again! My writing has been strictly linear since then.

My writing tends to be linear, but when I am well into a story (like halfway through a series) and know the characters and their situation well I sometimes write out of sequence. And there are always fragments that come into my head for scenes somewhere ahead, which I scribble down while I am thinking of them. Sometimes when I get to the place I thought they belonged they don't work anymore, and are easily discarded.

The problem for me at this point in time is that I haven't done much writing of new material for several years, due to the block/depression/general malaise, so I have no confidence when I sit down to write a brand-new scene or chapter that writing will occur. The blank page may remain that way.

Today, however, instead of working on the chapter I expected to, I got out of bed with bits of scenes a little ahead dancing in my head, so I need to write them down first, before I go back and write the chapter I was planning to write. At least characters from the story are having conversations inside my head, and that is encouraging, since so much of the time during the last decade they have been utterly silent, prod them how I might.

I woke up this morning wondering who will write the first romance set during this pandemic, consisting entirely of emails between the characters.

I'm writing a lot (for me) at the moment, but I'm also writing action that I've thought about for a long time. As a result it feels as if I'm making fewer conscious decisions about what I'm writing. It's a strange sensation, that this bit of the book is already written in my mind, but that I'm re-writing it on paper (except on a computer). If that makes any sense at all.

This reminds me of something I came up with to explain how my writing method sometimes operates: it's like taking dictation from my unconscious.
Yep. I have written three short stories over the last week. I'm happy with them but I read through them afterwards
and there's a derivative of imposter syndrome that says "Did I really write that?"

I normally restrict my feeble attempts at fiction writing to the 75-word Challenge, where I feel lucky to pick up 1 vote. But last night, a fragment passed through my mind, and I thought "I wonder if I can work this up to a book?" What do others think?

"In a hole in the ground, there lived a mobbit"

I normally restrict my feeble attempts at fiction writing to the 75-word Challenge, where I feel lucky to pick up 1 vote. But last night, a fragment passed through my mind, and I thought "I wonder if I can work this up to a book?" What do others think?
"In a hole in the ground, there lived a mobbit"
On second thoughts my post remove as not family friendly :)

Last edited: