So who is getting lots of writing done?

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
Being a quite monastic and owlish soul by nature, my four hour a day writing routine continues as normal though now time shifted into the productive night time hours of 11 till 3 since I no longer have to get up for anything!
How has your writing been affected? If at all. Destroyed by constant family presence or enhanced by the new peace?

I dunno about _lots_. I tend to write at home rather than lots, which can be quite windy at times.

Like you, Astro Pen, my routine is more or less the same, because wife&I are both retired.

I'm having a break from writing as I haven't been in the mood for the last couple of weeks. Figure I'll get back into when the Australian govt catches up with reality and locks us all down.

I became obsessed with the grim statistics for a few days, but when they became too depressing I followed my usual escape route and retreated into the world of fiction. I’ve submitted two short stories in two days, one of which I wrote yesterday, and I’m reading voraciously too.

I've been doing a thousand words a day, which for me is a large amount. I've planned out what I'm doing pretty carefully, and I'm now approaching some of the most exciting bits. So that at least is going well.

Since last Easter I've been on a projected 2-year writing break. Partly that was because I've got a bit of a backlog of work, partly it was because I've written a lot over the last six years and wanted a rest, and partly it was because I wanted to do other things. But now it appears I may be at home/working from home for 3 months, possibly 5 1/2 months, so I am looking at writing a new novel.
It's called Uncanny. :)

Reactions: Vaz
Hoping to get more writing done now. Did some on paper with the small one underfoot. For the next week i'll be at home with possibly no paid work to do, but a small underfoot, so we shall see. Evenings and weekends much freer now though...

Reactions: Vaz
3000 words! That's the most I've ever done in a day!
(let's hope some of them are ok when I get to editing this thing)
That is very good Toby. I tend to hit a ceiling at about 1800.
Can I ask, from academic interest, are you a plotter or a pantser?

That is very good Toby. I tend to hit a ceiling at about 1800.
Can I ask, from academic interest, are you a plotter or a pantser?

I've been doing a thousand words a day, which for me is a large amount. I've planned out what I'm doing pretty carefully, and I'm now approaching some of the most exciting bits. So that at least is going well.

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

I'm doing so much writing! More than I have ever been able to do before, it's so great. The timing is honestly mind boggling. I was told I might be laid off from my teaching job before this all started and I talked very seriously about shifting my career focus to writing.

I know how risky it is, but hey, I have a dream.

Anyway, I was having these very terrifying and exciting thoughts when all of a sudden - bam! Quarantine. Now I'm working from home and I am able to actually try to prove to myself that I could write for a solid 7-8 hours before I actually lose my day-job. Kind of feels like a sign... a very scary one I'm dragged into screaming in terror, but a sign nonetheless.

Right now I'm up to five hours a day, which is a big change from my usual 1-2 hours after teaching all day long. I'm starting to find my rhythm for a full day writing session and it seems to consist of early mornings and evening hours. Something about the afternoon is much harder, but I have no children to excuse my lack of focus.

I spent almost the whole day writing, but a lot of it was editing and light revising. Some of it, though, was actually writing brand new passages.

But I last worked on this book so long ago, I need to go through from the beginning and refresh my memory, before I can write new chapters. (Some of those new chapters are going to be inserted between those I have already done, since they involve different characters, but take place at about the same time.) Since even the revising involves putting new words together, I find that encouraging, after so much time in the depths of a clinical depression, where even writing a grocery list sometimes seemed like too much effort. Also, some of the chapters I am reviewing are better-written than I thought they were. (That is the problem of trying to write when you are suffering from depression. It can be impossible to tell the good from the bad because everything looks bad.) So that may mean there is less work to be done than I thought. Perhaps. At least I have never gone through a period of depression that made bad writing look better, so I think I may be getting well.

Sometimes going back to a book that you started a while ago and then left is harder than writing something new from scratch.

I've never really worked out whether I am a plotter or pantser and I never feel that either description covers me very well. I think it depends on what I can get away with. I find that quite often one idea leads to another, or you get to a point where the plot can only reasonably go in one direction. Where it's necessary - as it is at the moment - I do plan quite carefully, especially in scenes where it's important that people do things at specific points (pacing in action scenes, say) and ones where people have to say specific things. Perhaps there's only a certain amount of loose ends you can create before you have to start plotting how to tidy them up.