Pennyworth: The Origin of Batman's Butler - TV series

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I'm surprised there is no thread on this TV series yet Pennyworth (TV series) which has an origin story for Alfred (though it is much more than that.)

I just watched the whole first season during an aeroplane flight and it's one of the best shows I've seen this year. A second season is in production.

There is a second series airing now. It got delayed by Covid-19 and only began this month. I still seem to be the only person who has seen it from Chrons. The first season was on Epix in the USA, but was on Showcase in Canada. In the UK it had its premiere on StarzPlay. As I mentioned, I watched it on an aeroplane flight. I really don't understand why it doesn't have a wider distribution.

I highly recommend it. It is an alternative history and by the second season, the UK is in the grip of a fascist uprising. Paloma Faith's character is a stand out. It is the story of early life of the Wayne family butler, Alfred Pennyworth, a former British SAS soldier who is forming his own security company in this alternate London. Aspects of London in the 1950s and 1960s are combined with invented events. There are televised public executions and different versions of popular songs sung. The soundtrack is excellent too. In the first season, Pennyworth works against the Raven Society alongside American agents of the No Name League, Thomas Wayne and Martha Kane, the future parents of Bruce Wayne. The second season is set a year later.

There is a second series airing now. It got delayed by Covid-19 and only began this month. I still seem to be the only person who has seen it from Chrons. The first season was on Epix in the USA, but was on Showcase in Canada. In the UK it had its premiere on StarzPlay. As I mentioned, I watched it on an aeroplane flight. I really don't understand why it doesn't have a wider distribution.

I highly recommend it. It is an alternative history and by the second season, the UK is in the grip of a fascist uprising. Paloma Faith's character is a stand out. It is the story of early life of the Wayne family butler, Alfred Pennyworth, a former British SAS soldier who is forming his own security company in this alternate London. Aspects of London in the 1950s and 1960s are combined with invented events. There are televised public executions and different versions of popular songs sung. The soundtrack is excellent too. In the first season, Pennyworth works against the Raven Society alongside American agents of the No Name League, Thomas Wayne and Martha Kane, the future parents of Bruce Wayne. The second season is set a year later.

I was skeptical, but that sounds really cool and interesting! I'll have to check this out

Am I the only person who likes this? There is a 3rd season out now. I'm binging on it now.

Spoilers for seasons 1 and 3:

5 years have past and it has a slightly different feel. The English Civil War is over; the Fascists are defeated. We have now moved on to an alternative late 1960's psychedelia. It has vibes of The Avengers, Harry Palmer and The Man from Uncle now. There are cyborgs with bionic implants they cannot control, and there are mind-control drugs triggered by music that make you into an assassin. Thomas Wayne is no longer with the CIA but working as a Doctor, while Martha is an MI5 agent. Paloma Faith's character is still mad, and other characters return.

I watched it and liked it enough to make it through the 3 seasons, its not brilliant but the lead is engaging enough and I do love Dave Boy, the Waynes are forgettable and the villains, In season 3 anyway, are 60's Batman laughable at times.

But I am eager to see season 4.

Not yet finished S3, but I can see now, how it is beginning to morph into a much more Batman-like universe. I love that "camp" Batman more than the gritty versions anyway. I do agree that the domestic relationships of the Wayne family are forgettable, and Thomas' father has been rather abruptly shoe-horned in.

I guess they'll be moving to Gotham from London then? Since London just got nuked!

Yeah I think that has to be the gameplan and no doubt a young newborn member of the Wayne family

Back