(Found) short sf story about finding god through scientific experimentation; help!

steele

this one's been bugging me for a while haha there sorry was really wierd, probably won't be able to find it but any help is appreciated!

i remember reading it in a thick paperback science fiction anthology, and that i got it in the adult fiction section of the library. cover was a collage of images, may have been a 50 years of anthologies or something.

the story follows a young character (female i think?) who participates in experiments with the goal of finding some godlike presence. these involved things like fasting, taking drugs, etc. their health deteriorates because of this. eventually they end up discovering that they have either an identical twin or a clone, can't remember which. The main character and twin/clone do a final experiment, which is having sexual intercourse while under the influence of whatever drugs they were given, with the idea that god would be detected because of the intimacy between two identical and physically/emotionally heightened people. the monitoring system set up shows like their two 'life forces' or whatever, and at the end a third appears, which is presumed to be god.

i know the story is really wierd and perverse i just remember reading it years ago and it's been nagging at me for a while since i can't remember the title or author.

Back