What the Fantasy Genre Needs.

Not until I get my big-budget motion picture blockbuster adaptation of The Beetle (1897). ;-)

Maybe Fantasy needs a little abstraction.
As it is we get the typical Hero and his epic journey across his continent, with his brave and ethereal femme sidechkick. Seeking an artifact to subdue his malefactor who will destroy the world. (I.e. Terry Goodkind)

This isn’t really the kind of fantasy Tolkien envisioned. This kind is too linear. Fantasy needs something deeper, maybe like- power hungry political dons with a kind of megalomaniac manipulation of silk trades, monopolies, eh you get the point. That might be kind of cool.

There’s some of that, but mostly it’s a minor plotline. I’d like to see a fantasy novel get into detail, almost make the villain its protagonist, and just follow his evil doings around and the hero instead as a background character who foils him like scooby doo. “Those meddling kids!” Etc.

Maybe Fantasy needs a little abstraction.
As it is we get the typical Hero and his epic journey across his continent, with his brave and ethereal femme sidechkick. Seeking an artifact to subdue his malefactor who will destroy the world. (I.e. Terry Goodkind)

This isn’t really the kind of fantasy Tolkien envisioned. This kind is too linear. Fantasy needs something deeper, maybe like- power hungry political dons with a kind of megalomaniac manipulation of silk trades, monopolies, eh you get the point. That might be kind of cool.

There’s some of that, but mostly it’s a minor plotline. I’d like to see a fantasy novel get into detail, almost make the villain its protagonist, and just follow his evil doings around and the hero instead as a background character who foils him like scooby doo. “Those meddling kids!” Etc.

Karl Edward Wager did something like that in Bloodstone and the subsequent series books that followed and, Henry Kuttner did this in his novel The Dark World :unsure: :)

On the plus side we are getting a new ConanThe Barbarian Novel .:cool: