Corona virus sense

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
there must be many elderly people for whom this process is pretty crazy.
I am surprised that a major supermarket hasn’t been able to get a handle on prioritising the vulnerable (and anyone over 70 for that matter)
I also came to these same conclusions a few days ago when trying to unsuccessfully get an online order booked. As I have mentioned already, we've been self-isolating since we got home from holiday. We've had no opportunity to go into a store and panic-buy and we are out of fresh stuff. I didn't want to go because of the long queues with no social distancing evident. The supermarkets say they are helping the self-isolating but they have done absolutely nothing to help. So, when they also say they are helping the elderly and NHS staff, I see it as no more than a cynical marketing ploy. We'll be okay. My wife is a mild asthmatic but it is managed and she knows her triggers. What about the very elderly with similar conditions that are not serious enough to make "the government list" like @Hugh 's mum? What about those who aren't internet connected, or who wouldn't know how to make an online order even if they were taking new online customers? Someone asked this question this morning on BBC Breakfast and apparently this is something the NHS volunteers can help with. That isn't organised yet.

So we've been doing smash and grabs at smaller grocers and shops, when they didn't look busy. However, most of those have no idea of the meaning of social distancing if someone else does come inside, and the staff have obviously never had any kind of training. Some food safety training would at least cover much of the cross-contamination issues.
cashier wearing nitrile gloves, resting face on gloved hand
I've seen exactly that too.

We've also been using farm shops, but today we found out that many have closed, or else they are only taking online orders for collection. I think that next week we are going to have no alternative than to visit a supermarket.

Mouse

ejtett.weebly.com
IMG_20200326_141838.jpg

Just come back from taking the dog for a walk. I don't usually go near the park because kids, but it's all been taped off. Good to see people staying away.

Reactions: Vaz

farntfar

She turned me into a newt.
A suggestion.
Buy your printer cartridges in advance.
I have just spent ages queuing up outside at 2 different supermarkets, both in opposite directions from my house, because one of them had the black cartridge and no colour cartridge and the other had the colour cartridge and no black ones. And neither of us can work without it.*
Then of course queuing up behind 5 or six people with brimming trolleys to pay for a single cartridge in each one. (I of course bought a pack of 48 loo rolls in each one while I was there, but that's another story. ;). **)

* I couldn't even print out the docket you have to be able to show to les flics to say why you'd left your home.
**Not really. There hasn't really a shortage here since the day of the shutdown, so it's actually fairly pointless. Handwash gel, however is non existant.

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
Banks are being criticised for insisting on personal guarantees before issuing government backed emergency loans to business owners. Banks can go after the personal property of the owner of a firm if the business goes under and they can't pay back the debt.
I’m disgusted. These firms employ people who pay taxes - taxes that were used to bail out the irresponsible behaviour of the banks in 2008. This was their chance to give something back to society and they’ve failed miserably and acting like vultures.

Practical exercise: remove the first letter of the word banker and replace with a ‘w’ to discover the truth.

Matteo

Amazon France has sent out the following:
Chère cliente, cher client,

L’épidémie de COVID-19 a bouleversé notre vie quotidienne et certains d’entre nous sont isolés. Notre organisation familiale, professionnelle, la scolarité de nos enfants doivent être adaptées.

Plus que jamais, les collaborateurs d’Amazon en France sont mobilisés pour vous servir.

Je tiens à vous assurer que nous avons pris toutes les mesures nécessaires pour protéger la santé des salariés de tous nos sites en France. Nos entrepôts appliquent strictement les gestes barrières : distanciation, nettoyage renforcé, temps de pause aménagés. Nous avons également mis en place avec nos partenaires des mesures pour assurer les livraisons sans contact.

Pour vous accompagner dans ce contexte exceptionnel,
nous avons récemment adapté notre logistique pour répondre à vos besoins en articles prioritaires. Comme toujours, vous pouvez commander et recevoir tous les articles affichés comme disponibles sur Amazon.fr.
Bien que certains délais puissent être allongés, nous continuons d’assurer vos livraisons.

Nous sommes à vos côtés pour prendre soin de vous et de vos proches.

Frédéric Duval
Directeur général - Amazon.fr​

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter

Astro Pen

Write now.
Banks are being criticised for insisting on personal guarantees before issuing government backed emergency loans to business owners. Banks can go after the personal property of the owner of a firm if the business goes under and they can't pay back the debt.
I’m disgusted. These firms employ people who pay taxes - taxes that were used to bail out the irresponsible behaviour of the banks in 2008. This was their chance to give something back to society and they’ve failed miserably and acting like vultures.

Practical exercise: remove the first letter of the word banker and replace with a ‘w’ to discover the truth.
Beware they can go to court and get business loans guaranteed against your private home retrospectively. They did it to me in the 2008 crash. It was an education in weaselese.
ps Andrew Ross Sorkin's "Too Big to Fail" is an interesting read on the crash (if you like ploughing through 600 page door stops)

Overread

All Hail Skaven!
So update from suffolk - Coop were still at 2 per item except on select goods and were mostly enforcing a 2m distance and one way system around the shop. Shelves were distinctly more empty. That said they had warnings for the over 70s and offering home deliveries by volunteers (only went in for a couple of packs of mints)

Aldi in contrast felt almost happy. Staff were much more relaxed after the panic buying last week. They were enforcing a line outside of the shop, one person and 2m between each person. They also had someone standing at the entrance informing shoppers of the conditions inside and limiting people entering. They were also using wipes on the trolley handlebars and baskets when they were returned and when she gave them to customers in the line to enter the shop. No restrictions except on toilet paper and nappies and the shelves were pretty much normally stocked. Only one or two items here and there were missing and honestly if it weren't for the 2m distance at the tills (and every other till lane being open) you'd not really notice the difference.

Roads were very quiet - early morning Sunday sorts of traffic levels. We didn't see many people out ,but did see a few more walking in the rural areas, though only as isolated family groups no large gatherings nor heavy use.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I don't mean to worry anybody, but out of curiosity I thought I'd just check online for freezers, in case needed for long-term storage. According to the Argos website, the cheaper models I looked at had "100+ people looking at this now" and "100+ sold in the past 24 hours".

Looks like some people are looking to hunker down big time!
And they did - mostly sold out at Argos:

dannymcg

Pretty normal around here now.

Neighbour kids playing in each others gardens, their parents leaning over the waist high fence chatting away while up close and personal.
Other kids running around in a large pack just up the road.

I went to a nearby shop to see if they had any milk, it has a bus stop almost at the door. Eight or nine people all crowded together waiting for a bus.

I stopped a few yards away and put my facemask on before passing them all - this provoked a mutter mutter of "what's he playing at? Is he trying to alarm people? No need for that!"

I feel I'll soon be surrounded by a lot of vacant properties

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
Apparent confusion about whether you're allowed to drive to your place of exercise. Police think no, because it's not "essential", cabinet office think it's OK.

Hardly a surprise, I guess. How do you define "essential"? A strict definition certainly wouldn't include alcohol or bicycle spares, or most food items.

farntfar

She turned me into a newt.
Apparent confusion about whether you're allowed to drive to your place of exercise. Police think no, because it's not "essential", cabinet office think it's OK.
Not that it means anything for you but it's very clearly prohibitted to drive somewhere for your excercise, here in France.
Furthermore you are limited to walking, for an hour max, and within km of your dwelling, and only once per day.