Corona virus sense

Justin Swanton

Loving the view from up here.
I can't take it too seriously. Death toll thus far is 1,5% to 5% of reported cases, and that excludes an undefined number of unreported cases that are unreported because those who caught the virus had a dose of flu and got over it.

Somehow I think the human race will struggle through.

Question: why do people in times of security and prosperity have the primal urge to believe the world is coming to a end?

Boneman

I can't take it too seriously. Death toll thus far is 1,5% to 5% of reported cases, and that excludes an undefined number of unreported cases that are unreported because those who caught the virus had a dose of flu and got over it.

Somehow I think the human race will struggle through.

Question: why do people in times of security and prosperity have the primal urge to believe the world is coming to a end?
Because the internet tells them it's coming?

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
Christiamity is an apocalyptic religion, and I assume Judasim and Islam are similar, so like it or not, a huge part of the globe has been steeped in endtime lore for thousands of years.

Add in other religions (Ragnarok, Mayan etc.) around the world that have similar cut-off dates for the Earth.

I'm not a believer of any religion, but we've talked about the end of the world as a fairy tale so often it seems deeply ingrained in us. Look at all the Doomsday works in SF too!

I suspect the Christian Fundamentalist 'Apocalypse watch'sites are going a bit crazy at the moment.

@Boneman - I read that article too...but I can't stand that condescending git, Simon Jenkins

Hugh

Supporter
I find it strangely unreal at the moment. I'm waiting for something that could be pretty much a non-event but on the other hand might be really serious and kill people I know, including myself. I'm not too bothered right now, but at the same time I'm glad I don't have to commute on trains/buses/tube.

Elckerlyc

Achieved Score: "None Correct"
I have COPD. So, if I were to catch the corona virus it could very well be the end of me. Or not, who knows.
But at the moment I'm more concerned about the negative and costly impact of the hysteria-virus that seems to have the world in its grip.

I believe the mortality-rate of corona is on par with the Spanish flu. But that was 100 years ago. We have since learned so much from other threatening flu-pandemics.

Star-child

Science fiction fantasy
The Western world is in the middle of a net decrease in the prosperity of average citizens, the environment is on the verge of a major die-off event and there seems to be little interest in new frontiers. It all feels a lot like the gas crunch in the late '70s where overpopulation and no energy caused a mass depression about future belt-tightening.

The difference being that we have better data today.

I'm an agnostic futurist, and still am deeply concerned that there is going to have to be an incredible economic and technological paradigm shift to fund the sort of rescue just necessary to keep the status quo.

Coronivirus is good practice for the way people ought to be thinking about a future of massive and uncontrollable immigration as the equator becomes uninhabitable, bringing new plagues with it.

Finch

Death is not about if . All the media is bringing the the horrible truth of when , just a bit to close for some .

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
Watched a scientist explain that they simply don’t have the data yet to make a full assessment whereas they have decades of data on flu. Made a lot of sense to me. Worst thing folk can do is panic and create shortages.

olive

( ~ ᴗ ° )
Of course, this is about our end; it is about us. Everything is always for or against and about us. How can it be one of the simple, countless natural events that occurred on the planet when we've lived on it for a whooole fraction of a second during its four and a half billion years of existence? What do you mean?!

:LOL:

Last edited:

olive

( ~ ᴗ ° )
I was watching John Oliver. I don't know about the Western World but the mistrust to authority is so deep over here in the community I live -as usual- people don't even care about the news or numbers, any news kind of information in the media at all. The perspective is that probably half of the country has it and the other is about to get it and well, hopefully, most of the people will survive or at least not everybody will die. The other communities look at this from a whole different dimension, I see no need in mentioning that. Talk about dark, eh. Considering the geography; the general world order, I'm highly likely to get it soon so I'll drop a personal report if I survive.

But we have to make fun of this or the panic and the fear would result in worse than any virus at some point.

Last edited: