1.07: Star Trek: Picard - Nepenthe

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Q81R8wE.jpg

Picard and Soji transport to the planet Nepenthe, home to some old and trusted friends. As the rest of the La Sirena crew attempt to join them, Picard helps Soji make sense of her recently unlocked memories. Meanwhile, Hugh and Elnor are left on the Borg cube and must face an angered Narissa.

You know seeing the destruction mindsharing that went on I wonder if V'Ger might not be a part of this in some way. Thinking of powerful synthetic/artificial life that has been encountered I think V'Ger was perhaps the most powerful entity that was ever encountered of that kind. Even though the Borg are terrifying, V'Ger was capable of far more and was almost totally unstoppable. It technically also cut a huge swath of destruction through the galaxy on its return trip as it sampled and archived all it came into contact with. It would certainly be the stuff of nightmares for a Romulan people worried about Synthetic life already. Plus far as we ever knew V'Ger was built by another synthetic life form far over the other side of the Galaxy that even Voyager never encountered.

Both things to worry about.
Also I don't think we ever saw the resolution of V'Ger becoming a new life form explored again in the various series?

Also found that video which is really neat!

And another which shows V'Gers cloud scale compared to mostly everything else

Last edited:
Heartwarming reunion. I loved Picard, Riker and Troi taking center stage in this episode, even though the plot might have advanced a little more without them.
It was great seeing the Rikers living the good life on a paradise planet. I hope their time with Picard didn't set them up for a tragic turn.

This is interesting. First I was complained about putting up a review, then when I don't put a review nobody talks. What do you people want?

What do you people want?
That someone starts the thread!
If you want to post a review, just go for it! Only, use spoiler tags when and were appropriate.

This episode was the best so far. It was so good to see Picard, Riker and Troi interact once more.

That someone starts the thread!
If you want to post a review, just go for it! Only, use spoiler tags when and were appropriate.

I know. I just wanted to do this experiment and see how far I can go, before people really start to talk about it.

To me abandoning Elenor was the worst part, but to be honest, he chose his destiny and he played his role up to this point as the sisters thought him. But it was also that he imprinted his cause on to the Lost Borgs and none of his kind mattered any longer. Interesting thing also is that he didn't arm himself with any Romulan technology. Instead he remained faithfully loyal to using his blade and honouring all things.

It's just Romulans like to cheat. It is in their nature, and Elenor is at far opposite end to their cultural standards. It's like he's isn't anything like his kind and he doesn't understand what the Romulans are doing. I'm not even sure he understand that's he's dealing with a cult or a faction. But considering that he used the SOS signal something is happening in his head.

Maybe he really is that innocent and haven't really been introduced to ways of the galaxy. Maybe he would be shocked if he would be aboard of Rio's ship instead of wishing that someone would come to rescue him. Although he could have possibly prevented the doctor from poisoning herself, once she understood that she has been a pawn in a game. So that drama would have gone out from the window, but I'm also glad that Elenor now understands the power that lies within the Queen's Chamber. But think about how much that Borg technology would change the game?

You wouldn't need starships, when you can zip forty thousand light years in matter of moments. Everything would change. In Romulan hands they could launch massive invasions into the Federation space and there would be nothing that the Star Fleet could do but to try wage a conventional war with an overpowered enemy. For the sake of everyone it would be better if nobody other than Borg could gain an access to the Queen Chamber.

Without the Queen nobody's going to use it.

What I don't get is how Data's daughters fit in all of this, and why Romulans are more interested on her and Maddox than getting into the chamber, when they have an idea about its existence?

I absolutely loved every moment of this episode, and seeing Mrs Troi resembling her mum. Except all the fussiness that came with mum encounters. What is interesting is that she has not developed her powers even though her mum had reached far higher level in her age. It is like she chose to stay mum and forget about the past.

Interesting thing is that Riker chose the same thing. No starfleet. No admirality. No own ship and crew. Instead a family life and far away from the Star Fleet as possible. Yet, when Picard came knocking on the door, he was back in his element as if nothing had changed.

Really enjoyed the reunion with Ryker and Troi. It seems the scriptwriting editor has put all their focus into anything Picard does or says, with the result that he's always engaging and interesting.

Unfortunately, they seemed to have skipped the rest of the cast who are too often shallow cliches - I mean, honestly, a 25th century assassin fighting with 15th century technology? It makes no sense, it's just playing for cool looks. The "evil sister" as well is such a cardboard caricature I'm just waiting for her to say "Bwa-ha-ha" any moment, and it made the death of Hugh seem pointless (as with 7 of 9's execution of her own Borgie). Added to that the characterless pilot who inflicts passive smoking on the rest of the crew and is too stupid to get someone saying they've got a tracker to mean they've got a tracker - and too stupid to ask how someone in medical care died unexpectedly while someone was present and switching off all monitoring.

And, again, while I did enjoy this episode, it's just another episode that exists to introduce temporary characters. By itself it should have been outstanding (minus dumb and boring-to-watch evil sister), but we've spent too much time already on introductions.

So, altogether, a good episode - but 7 episodes in and while the production values are magnificent, as is Patrick Stewart, they didn't spend enough time developing the script and background characters IMO.

EDIT: Ryker and Troi's story was heart-breaking, and another example of a broken world. I'm still expecting a time-travel element to come into play so that Picard will fix it. I won't be surprised if Q appears at some point, and Picard is given the option to leave as is, or sacrifice himself to change how everything developed.

Reactions: ctg
Ep7 was enjoyable due to us getting some nice fan service and seeing some beloved characters again, but some of those annoying things started to creep back in again. Troy & Riker lost a child due to a reason that just seems so silly.. a disease that is only cured by taking stuff from an android brain.. give me a break.. and once again WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN PERSON IN THIS SHOW HAVE TO BE MESSED UP FROM TRAUMA??? why can't anyone at all be okay lol. I'm sick to death of it. People loved Star Trek because it painted a picture of this near perfect Utopian human future where greed, money, racism, poverty, addiction and all the other nasty stuff was either eliminated or barely there and therefore was usually projected onto the alien races, this giving people hope for the future and some nice escapism from all the news that tell us we're gonna destroy ourselves. However these writers seem to be intent on bringing the misery of their own lives into Star Trek making it not really escapism at all, now its just what we see on the news and todays flawed humans but with spaceships lol. Don't get me wrong, I love my dystopian dark future shows too but as for Star Trek unless its an alternate universe than I dont like them screwing up the prime timeline and characters we know and love. and don't even get me started on the smoking addiction BS.. I'll just leave this here:

Also clearly Kurtzman seems to have forgot Inner Light where Picard raised an entire family but oh now apparently now he knows nothing about teenagers so he gets schooled by Riker & Troi for it.. Urgh..

Oh and surprise surprise another old character has bought it.. but that's okay.. we've got these great new ones to replace them so who cares lol. The fact I just struggle to remember the names of the new characters really does show how great they are lol. RIP Hugh. Also wtf.. she's a evil lady pretty much killing everyone but she won't touch Hugh because he's a federation citizen. He helped Picard escape but she still has to hear him say that he's not on her side before she can kill him.. ugh come on..

I thought the parts with Riker and Troi were great. Not because it was fan service, but because it was well written and made sense, mostly. However, as for the rest....
I mean, honestly, a 25th century assassin fighting with 15th century technology? It makes no sense, it's just playing for cool looks. The "evil sister" as well is such a cardboard caricature I'm just waiting for her to say "Bwa-ha-ha" any moment, and it made the death of Hugh seem pointless (as with 7 of 9's execution of her own Borgie). Added to that the characterless pilot who inflicts passive smoking on the rest of the crew and is too stupid to get someone saying they've got a tracker to mean they've got a tracker - and too stupid to ask how someone in medical care died unexpectedly while someone was present and switching off all monitoring.
I couldn't agree more. Also, when the space elf faces up to the evil princess, he puts away his sword to fight her hand-to-hand. Please tell me why?

So, we guessed Abi was a spy, confirmed in the last episode when she murdered Maddox, but the clumsy introduction in this episode deserved much more time (and just for once) more explanation. I simply don't understand her motivations at all.
Troy & Riker lost a child due to a reason that just seems so silly.. a disease that is only cured by taking stuff from an android brain.. give me a break..
On that specific point, then I don't have a problem. We have seen exotic silicon based lifeforms before in Trek. The Crystalline Entity appeared several times. The virus wasn't cured from an android's brain, it was cured from a positronic matrix.
WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN PERSON IN THIS SHOW HAVE TO BE MESSED UP FROM TRAUMA??? why can't anyone at all be okay lol. I'm sick to death of it. People loved Star Trek because it painted a picture of this near perfect Utopian human future where greed, money, racism, poverty, addiction and all the other nasty stuff was either eliminated or barely there.
There, well I do agree that there does seem to be an excessive amount of melodrama within these seven episodes. Is it unusual to have melodrama in Trek? No. I agree with you that in the original series, they tended to project things onto alien races, but some of those episodes were pretty dire - a planet that was allegorical of the Vietnam war! Seriously! In the more modern series, they realised that drama comes out of tensions that result from character flaws. Every character in DS9 had at least one character flaw and one dark secret. In Voyager they combined two ships of Starfleet and Maquis. All recent SF series have now become much darker, reflecting the darker times of the world we live in, and Discovery is off the scale compared to Picard.

My problem isn't with giving the new characters flaws and angst, my problem is that they still seem two-dimensional despite doing that.

I think the assassin with the sword would have made a bit more sense in a story dominated by Klingons or Ferangi rather than Romulans. Since Romulans are not known to use swords all that often. That or if he had slightly less of a "country boy" aspect to him and used a phaser now and then.

Reactions: ctg
Now that I know the story will get an end, I've started watching and I'm up to this episode. So far, I've really enjoyed it, and (in some ways) it's feels like a Trek convention with a coming together of many of the favourite characters from TNG.

We're getting much more time with the characters now that the story doesn't have to hurry along and be finished within 50 minutes, and we get to see a range of emotions from the actors. I'm so glad that they've managed to do this show with all of the main actors (I think) still living, and I'm looking forward as much as to who will be the next old face to come along, as to how the story will develop.

Now that I know the story will get an end, I've started watching and I'm up to this episode. So far, I've really enjoyed it, and (in some ways) it's feels like a Trek convention with a coming together of many of the favourite characters from TNG.

We're getting much more time with the characters now that the story doesn't have to hurry along and be finished within 50 minutes, and we get to see a range of emotions from the actors. I'm so glad that they've managed to do this show with all of the main actors (I think) still living, and I'm looking forward as much as to who will be the next old face to come along, as to how the story will develop.
You are in for a treat.