Doctor Who (38) 12:10- The *wotsit* Of The Cybermen

Narkalui

Nerf Herder
Okay....

So I enjoyed this. I like that there is now a whole new tome of mystery surrounding the Doctor, where did she come from? Etc. That's all pretty cool.

I have to say I was hoping the old man would get shot and then regenerate...

But how does that all fit in with Rassilon and Omega?
And is the Doctor now the Universe's messiah? I hope they don't go down that route!

Nice cliff hanger at the end...

Okay....

So I enjoyed this. I like that there is now a whole new tome of mystery surrounding the Doctor, where did she come from? Etc. That's all pretty cool.

I have to say I was hoping the old man would get shot and then regenerate...

But how does that all fit in with Rassilon and Omega?
And is the Doctor now the Universe's messiah? I hope they don't go down that route!

Nice cliff hanger at the end...

Of the Doctors origin, the word Ouroboros comes to mind.

So The Doctor is the timeless child, the true founder of The Timelords, well sort of.

Since Jodie became the Doctor a lot of people have turned off, yes its had it's up and downs but that's always been the case. Every series has had stinkers as well as a few gems. Overall I've enjoyed her take on the dr, the writers have got it wrong at times, some episodes being too preachy. Also Ryan and Yaz are surplus to requirements but Yaz has grown on me and I'd be happy for her to remain.

I really liked this episode and the opportunities it has created of where to go next are endless. That cliffhanger at the end, hope we don't have to wait too long until the next series.

As someone who has only seen the modern Doctor Who and only watched each episode once (apart from a couple I skipped completely this series), there was a lot I didn't get in the past two episodes. I thought the final episode would clear up the confusion of the penultimate episode, but I was more confused, and there seemed to be chunks of lore I'm missing. It also seemed to contradict things I do remember, and if it completely rewrites history, what was the point in every other Doctor Who series before this one?

The climax seemed obvious. It seems the older person always gets killed off in these situations - as if because someone is old it doesn't matter anyway. And how were there three TARDIS' all conveniently placed? And why was a TARDIS a tree?

The episode looked good. I enjoyed the Master and his plans, but the good aspects of the episode seemed wasted. Still, I'm intrigued enough to watch when it returns at Christmas/New Year.

The Tardis' I think I can help with, they are on Galfrey were TARDIS was invented bound to be some still around. She sent the others back to Earth, that TARDIS took shape of a house, she escaped in another one that changed to a tree, they still have their chameleon abilities. Her Tardis found her and is still stuck as a police box.

A fair few ups and downs for me, but the ups were mainly in the performances, as I didn't dig the story all that much.

+I don't care what the anti-woke brigade say, I feel Jodi nails being the Doctor.

+I'm liking this new Master too. He feels genuinely unhinged and a very real danger to anyone around him.

+Brendan being the Doctor's filtered memories was a set up for a colossal in-joke to anyone who's read the New Adventures published after the original show was cancelled. A running gag in those books was the Doctor saying he was from Gallifrey, and someone else saying "That's in Ireland isn't it?" Or maybe I'm reading too far into it.

+I groaned when Graham suggested hiding in Cybersuits, but it was played really well.

+Have we finally cleared up the Brain of Mobius debate?

+/-The Lone Cyberman's plan didn't make a lick of sense, but seeing as The Master quickly ripped it to shreds, I guess it wasn't really supposed to. Then Loney got tissue compressed, and that was the end of him anyway.

+/-I loved the concept of the Cyber Lords, but felt they were wasted as they didn't do anything before being Death Particled. And they could have killed the old guy several times before they finally got around to shooting him. Seriously, just shoot him in the head as soon as he grabs the bomb, or at least while he's standing around monologuing.

-Speaking of being unable to kill people, how many times did these supposed deadly warriors shoot at people, and with how many fatalities? The Cybermen must have been converting Stormtroopers.

-No return of Captain Jack, so why was he really around in the first place?

-Ryan's dyspraxia is once more in name only. I can buy him being able to play basketball, if he perseveres with it. I can't buy him making a perfect shot first time with a bomb he's never used before.

Her Tardis found her and is still stuck as a police box.
I've been able to adapt to the Doctor's many regenerations; but if the TARDIS ever became, even temporarly, something other than a police call box, I'd have to draw the line. I've got to have standards. ;)
-Speaking of being unable to kill people, how many times did these supposed deadly warriors shoot at people, and with how many fatalities? The Cybermen must have been converting Stormtroopers.
:ROFLMAO: I was thinking the same thing.

That was an adequate ending to the series. The questions the series raised are answered, sort of, with many more brought up. While it was entertaining enough to keep me going to the end I thought that Sacha Dhawan veered heavily into panto-villain territory. Including the Joker-esque costume.

I found the climax unsatisfying when the Doctor threatens to use the Death Particle only to fail to follow through but is rescued at the last minute by yet another Doctor. I think Ko Sharmus is the Doctor as well, or am I alone in this?

Like I said before, I was expecting to see him regenerate. But I was thinking Rassilon rather than the Doctor

I loved the concept of the Cyber Lords, but felt they were wasted as they didn't do anything before being Death Particled
There's no way we've seen the last of them. The costumes were far too elaborate to be only used once ;)
I give it a couple of series and they will return, with some lame reason why they weren't all killed - probably something to do with the ability to regenerate

I've never been in any doubt that a woman could play the Doctor - I'm equally convinced that Jodie Whittaker is not that woman.:poop:

Many talented writers have worked on, "Doctor Who," but Chris Chibnall is not one of them.)*(

We've often had hints that the Doctor is more than just a Time Lord, but this dismemberment of canon is despicable, even by Chibnall's, "Standards.":mad:

Obviously, the Time Lords' power gives rise to a certain arrogance, and the idea - built up almost as long as I've been alive - of one of them puncturing that arrogance and influencing history for the better, strikes something deep in the soul.:ROFLMAO:

To turn the Time Lords into brutal cultural thieves and empire builders, instead of the benevolent guardians we've always imagined them to be, makes no sense in the first place, and has obliterated the last vestige of hope for the continuation of the series in the second.

I like that JW is now locked up for the rest of her natural, please send CC to join her.(n)

Well there was a lot to get through in this episode - hence the extended running. And what did we find out?

The Doctor is the founder of all the time lords...maybe...if the Master wasn't lying or manipulating the images. This goes against all canon of course - except that we did get a few frames of The Brain of Morbius (showing the supposedly pre-Hartnell doctors), but no actual "memories" of those doctors. And as I said before, if the doctor's mind was wiped, why would those images have been there.

And presumably the Doctor had unlimited regenerations so was she somehow retro-fitted to be limited to twelve (like all the new Time Lords)?

Speaking of which, how did all the Time Lords die if they can regenerate?

And why was Rassilon not mentioned?

And what's this "Division"? Isn't there already a section of the Time Lords that interferes in certain events?

We didn't get an answer to how Ruth Doctor was actually walking around a few episodes back.

Hiding in cyberman suits should not have worked...come on!

And cybermen are lousy shots when the story line suits them to be!

And that cyber ship was comprehensively destroyed - how did Graham et al survive that?

I also thought the old guy would end up being a Time Lord - and maybe he was/is...

The Master being completely unhinged is fine, I'll buy that, but I'm tired of the Doctor* being "ooo, err...I'm confused...err...what...err...ooo, I know!"

The Judoon should not be able to beam into the Tardis.

Overall, this season has been better than the last and there have been one or two stand out episodes, but also some real stinkers.

Will keep watching though - well, not until Xmas.

(* as I said in discussions about the last season, I thought the decision to make the Doctor a woman was a lazy box ticking exercise. I've absolutely nothing against Jodie but I don't really like this portrayal of the Doctor - and as I've said before, I'm assuming it's not Jodie dictating that portrayal, but rather the writers and director).

Tecteun may be the new mother of all Time Lords, but I have to question her actual parenting skills.
First, she lets her foster daughter roughhouse with a playmate at a cliff's edge -- with predictable results. Then, her motherly instincts are immediately eclipsed by scientific ambition when her foundling regenerates into another body.
I was bothered by the subsequent frequency of the child's "deaths" as Tecteun attempted to squeeze the secret of regeneration from her. Either the kid was amazingly accident-prone, or Mom was a little careless in her experiments -- knowing that, if things went terribly wrong, her subject would be back in a moment.

Now you've mentioned it, I remember that feeling odd too. The change from loving parent to experimenting on her child was very off and not convincing.