Book ID: Humans accidentally discover pre-industrial aliens who are split into two factions

Efefay

More than five years ago, I started reading a sci-fi book about advanced humans making first contact with (definitely pre-industrial but might specifically be iron-age, medieval-era) humanoids. It then goes on to relate the experiences of both species. I never finished the book so I don’t know what else goes on. I’ll provide some plot details though. I don’t think it’s a pre-2000 book.

Humans either arrive in the alien star system by accident.

The aliens are probably humanoid but they, for sure, are taller than humans. This was because of the planet having lower gravity.
The aliens are split into two divided cultures that don’t like each other. The first culture lives in a very cold climate while the second culture lives in a desert climate. The humans initially side with the first culture. The first cultured is worried about a lack of food.

Finally, there was one scene where the humans were on motorcycle-like devices (maybe hoverbikes) and had firearms. As the humans rode past, they fired and mowed down a culture's army.

I'm fairly sure this question has already been asked, somewhere here in Book Search. ... I can't remember if it was answered!

We may actually be looking for the same book...

I remember Earth's humans had some cloaking device that hid their ship in the atmosphere that prevented the humanoids from seeing them. But I also thought the humanoid aliens were shorter, dwarf like. I could be wrong on that though.

I got the impression that Earthlings were among the most advanced in the universe with regards to travel and technology. But there were aliens they had run into before with glass like skin.

I read this book in 2009 while in Afghanistan. So its definitely pre-2009 publish date.

ETA: I think I found what I'm looking for, Omega by Jack McDevitt.

Last edited:
The descriptions are not ringing any Jack McDevitt bells for me. It is a long time since I read Omega, so I need to check.

We may actually be looking for the same book...

I remember Earth's humans had some cloaking device that hid their ship in the atmosphere that prevented the humanoids from seeing them. But I also thought the humanoid aliens were shorter, dwarf like. I could be wrong on that though.

I got the impression that Earthlings were among the most advanced in the universe with regards to travel and technology. But there were aliens they had run into before with glass like skin.

I read this book in 2009 while in Afghanistan. So its definitely pre-2009 publish date.

ETA: I think I found what I'm looking for, Omega by Jack McDevitt.

It's not Omega by Jack McDevitt. In this book, the humans have no problem making their presence known.

More than five years ago, I started reading a sci-fi book about advanced humans making first contact with (definitely pre-industrial but might specifically be iron-age, medieval-era) humanoids. It then goes on to relate the experiences of both species. I never finished the book so I don’t know what else goes on. I’ll provide some plot details though. I don’t think it’s a pre-2000 book.

Humans either arrive in the alien star system by accident.

The aliens are probably humanoid but they, for sure, are taller than humans. This was because of the planet having lower gravity.
The aliens are split into two divided cultures that don’t like each other. The first culture lives in a very cold climate while the second culture lives in a desert climate. The humans initially side with the first culture. The first cultured is worried about a lack of food.

Finally, there was one scene where the humans were on motorcycle-like devices (maybe hoverbikes) and had firearms. As the humans rode past, they fired and mowed down a culture's army.
This gets me thinking of "Foreigner," book 1 of the series by the same name, by C. J. Cherryh. The factions are east/west, not cold climate/desert climate (though the visits to the eastern half of the continent are usually winter and/or upland regions) and there's no scene with motorbike type vehicles, but the rest is quite similar.

While "Foreigner" was released before 2000, the 10th anniversary edition was released in 2004.

Back