DISCUSSION THREAD March 2020 75-Word Challenge

@BigJ .... What choice is there, really? .... Jay brings us face to face with the key dilemma of transformation: being something else means being something other than what I am now.

@David Evil Overlord .... Not All Super Powers Are Amazing .... David points me to obvious but yet somehow unseen for me consequences in an unusual transformation.

Blimey. Really didn't think I'd get in this month due to... er... everything. I had a kernel of an idea earlier in the month but never got around to finessing it. Nothing like a bit of deadline panic to force your hand!

Ditto. Except for the idea earlier in the month bit.

I've been really pushed for time this month, with work, and family issues, so I apologise for the roughness of my entry. In my defence, it was put together in half an hour, so I could at least claim to have done some writing this month.

Hmm, last day, less than ten hours to go, and only thirty-five entries - with Culhwch, dannymcg, LittleStar, Margaret Note Spelling, Marvin, Perpetual Man, Shyrka, Star-child, Starbeast, TheDustyZebra, Ursa major and Vince W not yet entered. I hope next month's tenth anniversary summons forth more enthusiasm - who would have thought it would continue this long?

Oh, all right, it's already better than December's, and we know there'll be at least a couple of attempts at the last entry on the last second before the gong sounds, but nostalge about the days it remained above forty-two for years at a time…

Sign of the times on here, I'm afraid. A lot of old veteran members are gone, and it seems like gone for good, including many of those who participated in the early challenges.

Sign of the times everywhere, I'd imagine, to be honest...the world's getting more and more serious and focused, and to me, it feels like no matter the outcome in the end, not just because of this latest bull, but the direction it's been heading for the last twenty years...I think we'll be losing a lot of good innocence and upbeat happiness, and all that goes with it...

Sign of the times on here, I'm afraid. A lot of old veteran members are gone, and it seems like gone for good, including many of those who participated in the early challenges.

Sign of the times everywhere, I'd imagine, to be honest...the world's getting more and more serious and focused, and to me, it feels like no matter the outcome in the end, not just because of this latest bull, but the direction it's been heading for the last twenty years...I think we'll be losing a lot of good innocence and upbeat happiness, and all that goes with it...
I tried.

LittleStar transforms into the creator of a final gesture of hope.

TheDustyZebra transforms into the creator of a desperate measure.

Shyrka transforms into the creator of a test with serious consequences.

Mad Alice transforms into the creator of being careful with unexpected guests.

Perpetual Man transforms into the creator of a decision to avoid deciding.

Abernovo transforms into the creator of a new perception of reality.

Ursa major transforms into the creator of a portrait of artistic temperament.

Short List:

mosaix

chrispenycate

Celine_Brace

VOTE:

Cat's Cradle

Last edited:
Voting time...
Shortlist (even shorter shortlist in bold):
  • Bette Davis Eyes - Punchy, witty, cool, damning
  • Not a Morning Person - Absurd, wondrous, hilarious
  • Barren Flesh - Vivid, inverting
  • Love Thy Neighbor - Flowing, poetic, eloquent
  • What Remains of Narcissus - Ethereal, poignant, evocative
  • Magnum Opus - Intriguing, twisted, educational (had never heard of the Immortal Jellyfish)
  • Kajar and the Wolf Lord - Surprising, preposterous, uproarious
  • Curse of Virus is Dazzling - Cynical / hopeful, timely
Plenty of others worthy of mention.
Ultimately, I had to go for @Victoria Silverwolf 's Bette Davis Eyes. It just nailed the brief and did so with both cinematic verve and great economy.

Perhaps there are a lot of people sitting around at home with not a lot to do.
Then we ought to expect a lot more entries in next month's 75- and 300-worders.

(Note: I'll probably be posting my entries at the last minute, as usual.)

:) I was wondering about that too, mosaix. I'm surprised to see so many votes so early.

Also, very cool: ten votes, ten stories voted for.

Honourable mention for:

@Victoria Silverwolf
@Guttersnipe
@mosaix
@Hugh

Vote goes to:

@Daysman

Nicely done everyone else that got a story up.
Apologies for my absence. Sometimes there just isn’t enough time in the day.
I don’t enjoy rushing, I prefer a good think and time to tinker. Jealous of those on here that can crash one out in 5 mins, be happy with it, and snag a vote or two!

Back