DISCUSSION THREAD March 2020 75-Word Challenge

Luiglin

by day Stuart Orford by night Dark Lord's scribe
Supporter
Congrats @Daysman.

Thanks for the mentions folks. Tried to do something a bit different, maybe I should have gone with the Dark Lord and the circus werewolves.

Daysman

Newfangled Member
east of the crooked house, south of weddell wynd

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
Congratulations Daysman!

(Have to quickly say a stunned and grateful thanks to @Ursa major for the vote, it was not my original story - obviously - because the original had dinosaurs in it)

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
To save people even a mimimum of DuckDuckGoing (or even Googling), my story is about the (in the story, magically conscious) main theme of Liszt's Piano Concerto No.2 (it's Searle** catalogue number being S.125).

I was a bit worried that I'd got the timing wrong, i.e. that the march-like treatment of the theme was not 15 minutes into the work. (As usual, I was writing the story at the last minute -- I'd only got the basic idea on the 22nd -- so I had no time to check.) As it happens, the first version*** I found online (I've no way of linking to the various version of the piece I have on CD) proved me -- well, the narrator -- more or less correct.

Speaking of the narrator.... Not being the one being transformed ("mangled"), I strongly disagree with the Main Theme: I like themes to appear in various guises in a piece... so not as Leitmotifs were once described: as there to help those listening to the (Wagner) opera who have lost track of what's (meant to have been) going on. I therefore neither damn Liszt nor the technique of the transformation of themes****.

** - There are a number of different cataloguing schemes for Liszt's vast output, but the most commonly referenced one (for recorded performances) is that devised by the English composer, Humphrey Searle (1915-1982).

*** - I found this only yesterday evening. The sound on the YouTube video is, on a mercifully very few occasions, not always of the best quality -- there are a few seconds of what sound like distortion -- but this may be have been a problem with my laptop. The picture is fine.

**** - This is also known (though not commonly) as the metamorphosis of themes, the phrase that first led me to the concept of my story.