Climate Signs, Antarctica...

-K2-

Over the past few years I've read countless web pages, articles and news items regarding climate change. Over this past year, I read a convincing article that stated roughly, 'all climate models were wrong--because--based off of Greenland's deglaciation, projections for the year 2100 match what we can expect by the year 2040, or sooner.'

Now there is this: An Antarctica heat wave melted 20% of an island's snow in 9 days

"A nine-day heat wave scorched Antarctica's northern tip earlier this month. New NASA images reveal that nearly a quarter of an Antarctic island's snow cover melted in that time..."

K2

Based on momentum, the polar regions have already melted, they just haven't finished melting yet. The models are approximations. We are used to seeing plus or minus a certain value. Since it is based on guessing, everyone is hoping for the plus side but it can be just as easily be less than the stated value. It would be nice to be able to harvest all that fresh water as it melts and flows into the oceans.

all climate models were wrong

No offence, but that commentator is just denying climate science and replacing it with hyperbole, and belongs in the trash along with all the other climate change deniers.

For anyone who does read the science press - and here's a good free place to start - it's clear that climate models are not the problem as much as estimating the actual rate of change (which is fraught with difficulties), and that estimates of sea level rise in the IPCC reports have always been accused of being conservative.

However, everything is complicated by the fact that regional variations apply across the globe, and this is just as applicable to Antarctica. Eagle island is part of a long island arc that almost reaches the southern tip of South America, and while the warming there isn't good news it isn't typical of activity on the Antarctic continent itself, some parts of which are actually getting colder.

IIRC. :)

It is best to say global change or climate change, instead of global warming or climate warming, because no one can deny that things aren't changing.

When talking about the global situation, we can't pick and choose the data we want to use to explain the overall picture. The first problem is the sheer size of the situation. It is difficult to understand cause and effect when there are many parts of different nature interacting in the same place. The understanding of local situations spirals out of control when instead of looking at one situation of cause and effect we are looking at cause and effect, cause and effect, cause and effect, cause and effect, etc., etc., all part of the same endless chain.

We have reached the point of 8 billion people and the elephant with perfect sight. One thing is certain, the overall temperature of the globe has warmed up a couple of degrees over the past couple of hundred years. Considering the mass of the Earth, that is a considerable amount of energy that has to go somewhere. Anecdotal evidence tells many of us that the winter weather we use to see come in like wave that covered everything with a continuous blanket of cold for a couple months has turned into a situation where it just can't stay cold, but keeps trying to warm up every time the wind blows in a different direction. The areas that are staying cold on a continual or periodic basis are shrinking. The areas that are getting warmer at a rate that is faster than what has been experienced over the past couple of hundred years are increasing.

Permafrost covers around 25 percent of the northern hemisphere. Due to recent events it can now be seen that permafrost is anything but permanent. Due to the large size of the permafrost situation, perhaps it could be used as a yardstick to keep track of the changing climate on Earth. The depth and breadth of the permafrost can easily be measured. As well as the amount of methane that is being released over which we have absolutely no control. Whereas the surface ice that so many like to use as a yard stick gives no indication of the depth, which means it is like judging a book by it's cover.

@Brian G Turner ; I phrased that poorly. What I read (regarding climate change models...and I'm trying to remember it myself...and want to point out that I am NOT an expert but simply relaying what I read by others), stated that the climate models were wrong due to setting a model target date of 2100, and then applying known/historical trends, generating a number(s), finally arriving at possible best and worst case results (for 2100).

The point you make about 'rate of change' which is a big part of the calculation. More so, the compounding acceleration aspect. In any case, the statement was (again from memory), was that 'the climate models and results (everyone uses as a discussion point) are wrong because the projected scenario for 2100 will actually happen by 2040, based on Greenland's current deglaciation state and rate.

In any case, I'd like to point out the video YOU presented roughly a year ago here:

Interesting to see this piece on the PETM - and how the warming then occurred at a slower rate than today:

What a fantastic video, one where I have used information from it and other sources to 180-degree flip a number of hard-core climate deniers, to climate change believers.

Now, I might have this all wrong...but, it's worked on convincing them :ROFLMAO:

What I present to those folks is as follows--in brief...
1. Our world has a miraculous system of thermally stabilizing itself and constantly improving.
1A. The stabilization aspect comes in the form of the circulation of the atmospheric convection cells, jetstreams, and oceanic conveyor belts. They each work in their own way like a giant cooling system. Taking the heat and moisture from here and moving it to cooler regions then bring it back, circulating and somewhat equalizing the global temperature. The system works on a massive scale, and can even address extremes...to a point.
1B. The constant improvement comes in the form of 'carbon based life.' Life on earth thrives on the consumption of carbon and by doing so helps the environment strip the carbon from the air which improves living conditions for the life. Plants strip carbon from the air, insects through animals eat the plants, then each other. With the carbon consumed, it is then put into the ground to keep it out of the atmosphere through expelled waste and ultimately the full cycle of life (death and plant cycles). IOW the carbon cycle.

2. I then mention the information contained in the video, specifically the PETM, but more so what it took for it to happen... carbon released into the atmosphere during the PETM, at a rate of 1.7 billion Mtons at its peak, over 4,000 years...........although, I use sugar cubes as my example so they get a visual.

3. I then go back to item 1, and remind them at the end of the PETM, that mass of plants and other life perished as the cycle dictates, taking all that carbon back into the ground. That's a big point, get the carbon out of the atmosphere, and get rid of it in the ground where it is meant to stay for the climate/environment to keep 'improving.' Naturally, that carbon based matter eventually turns into coal, oil, and gas...methane included.

4. At that point I briefly discuss crossing a threshold limit where there is a positive feedback loop (to the negative). Plants stop taking in CO2 when stressed and begin giving it off. Plants die and reduce the carbon stripping even further, other life perishes reducing the rate of putting the carbon in the ground. Stored methane (much more potent than CO2) begins being released, and so on...whereupon the fantastic world radiator begins to falter, etc. etc... and it all falls apart at an accelerating rate.

Full stop for a moment, at which point they dwell on it and shrug... So what?

5. In the last 100 years roughly (to the greatest degree), we have been extracting millions of years of stored carbon--and--putting it right back into the air, counter to and directly opposing the vast benefit of carbon based life.

6. I mention item 2 again, peak rate of 1.7B Mtons/4,000 years... then mention from that video in 2014 ALONE we put 9.8B Mtons into the atmosphere... 1.7 peak rate over 4,000---9.8 peak rate over 100, and it's clear there is a problem.

7. I then mention that there is 1,400B Mtons of methane (much worse than CO2) trapped in permafrost, and then describe the loss there as the world warms and how it's thawing extremely far north round the world. Reminding them about that interesting polar forest and it's put in the ground carbon is what is looking at getting released (to keep their minds on the carbon cycle).

Etc.. What finally made it click for these folks is mentioning the 'radiators' of the planet, the carbon cycle, and how we have been taking all that carbon and putting it back into the air. That was enough... then it was a matter of getting them to not just throw their hands up and say it's hopeless. That we can slow the cycle, and give the world a chance to do its thing.

BTW... if you watch that video, it's very interesting how the poles are affected more (see a more dramatic change) than the equator/overall. To me, right or wrong, that says the events we're seeing N&S is a more dramatic indicator (tip of the needle on the dial) than where most of us live, which is what most people want to go by.

Anywho, it has worked on changing a few minds. And lord knows, that's a bigger thing to change than the climate.

K2

Last edited:
and give the world a chance to do its thing.
There is absolutely no guarantee we will be included in the stabilization of these changes. More than likely the changes start out slow and then rapidly accelerate the rate of change, which throws the 2100 figure straight out the window. I would almost suspect a date was picked that is outside of our lifetimes so we have the ultimate human defense of believing nothing will be happening to us. I give the arrival of major impacts to be 2050, not 2100.

This planet is a strong believer in regime change. First there were sea monsters that ruled the world. That didn't last. Then large amphibians as big as small trucks walked the land. That didn't last. Age of reptiles didn't last, age of mammals didn't last, now in the age of hominids, one thing is certain, how the big life re-establishes itself has little connection to last year's model.

If a storm mechanism develops that lets ordinary storms continually recreate their own low pressure systems, it might become the age of storms.