Book Covers for self publishers

You're probably right. Unless you're joking around, it seems you want to be as discouraging as possible to people who want to at least try DIY covers. I think the earlier posts that suggest it's often not a good idea were very educational as to why. However, insults are totally unnecessary. I don't think the forum was meant for that. For the nonce, I'll assume you're joking around and not take the post seriously.
Maybe I mis-read this I thought K2 was making a humourous point at Phyrebat who it seemed to me was being a bit snooty about the whole thing.

IE If you dont spend thousands on a cover then you are merely peddling trash and rushing it out. (Followed by him announcing he was an artist for hire of course! :) )

Nope...I'm the other person who believes DIY covers are fine. In fact, I believe (if you have the time) everyone should do their darndest to try and master any subject they choose, to a point they're satisfied with what they set out to accomplish. There will ALWAYS be someone better at anything we do. But, we don't have to be the best compared to all others. We simply need do the best we can for ourselves, be proud of those efforts, and strive to improve at every turn.

You don't accomplish that by saying up front; I'll have this ghost writer rewrite my novel, I'll not try and edit/correct it and let the publisher's editors do it, I'll not try to develop a cover image that fits the vision in MY head. When all said and done, you might very well choose to not do those things and let professionals do the heavy lifting, but at that point you're simply one of many spokes in a wheel.

I get what others are suggesting about letting the pros have at it. But, how can you even tell them what you're looking for unless you make an effort yourself first.

What I do discourage, is folks running down others who are making that effort where they don't. But, I'm just cranky like that. :whistle:

K2

Got it. Appreciate the clarification. OK, for the nonce, back to learning to create character faces from photos and learning to fit custom clothing to said characters. Then presenting them on book covers. Assuming I've picked up lighting and shading adequately. Adios for now, people.

Well it made me laugh so no harm. ;)

I don’t mean to come across as snooty. I’m one of those people who’re more interested in being told what I’ve done wrong rather than enabling poor workmanship with supportive posts to spare feelings. For example I’ve recently finished the writing (and 5 edits) of my own story which I began in 2011 - to throw something together on a Sunday afternoon in Paint/Word/Photoshop etc would be to do that effort an injustice

But then, I appreciate we’re all on a budget and you have to do what works for you.

Incidentally here’s a cover I made in PS a few years ago messing with templates etc.

62E7539E-D02B-4302-9397-B517A6F2860C.jpeg

Hmm, you have an interesting way with words.

I do love your design though, very good indeed and eye catching.

I tend to just let my drawing / painting flow, never worry to much about the final result cause mainly i do it for the fun of it.

But you do have a real talent for the image.

For example I’ve recently finished the writing (and 5 edits) of my own story which I began in 2011 - to throw something together on a Sunday afternoon in Paint/Word/Photoshop etc would be to do that effort an injustice

To expound on this -

If it looks like that's how the art was done - or even more effort but just not great - I'll assume the same amount of care went into the book and not buy it. Harsh? Maybe, but I've got a lot of potential books to buy. If someone wants to make my life easier sorting through the list, yes please.

Now, the validity of this as a criticism depends on what people want. If people want to simply express themselves and see who else is vibing with it, fair dos! Do what makes you happy is about the only universal rule of writing there is. But if people want to do themselves as proud as possible inside a budget, then I think it does need to be said.

I'd also add that you don't need gorgeous art for a pro looking cover. I know not everybody likes simplicity, but Fonda Lee's Jade City has a very simple, eyecatching cover. Quite a lot of the cover art for Shards of a Broken Crown by RE Feist is simple as hell.

Quite a lot of the cover art for Shards of a Broken Crown by RE Feist is simple as hell.

:oops:

13817._SY475_.jpg

Or did you mean this one?

511TjhTBZDL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Or...

Anywho, as mentioned this is a favorite of mine (and I'm not all that sure these came with sleeves):

2098709.jpg

K2

All the ones that are basically just a crown.

Yeah, well, that first one IMO is a perfect example of what NOT to do. The others (shown here) don't thrill me too much either. But none I found presses the 'professional' theme suggested. But, I'm no expert...

K2

I think it comes down to what the author is hoping to gain from publishing their book. If it's commercial success, then without a commercial quality cover they are handicapping themselves from the get-go. In the age of thumbnail browsing, books are definitely being judged on their cover. If I saw what I considered an amateur cover, I would not bother to 'look inside' anyway just to see what the writing was like. I'd assume it was also amateur and skip right on over it. Cruel, but I suppose that's the way it is when there is so much choice out there.
Alternatively, if the author wants to publish for their own satisfaction, then that's fine too.

edited to add: By 'commercial', I mean clean, balanced, pleasing to the eye, and (importantly) easy to read title & author. I would much rather a plain but bold text cover to a crowded, fancy-fonted image.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, that first one IMO is a perfect example of what NOT to do. The others (shown here) don't thrill me too much either. But none I found presses the 'professional' theme suggested. But, I'm no expert...

K2

That’s the second time you’ve said you’re not an expert. I don’t think you have to be an expert. Let’s face it, who here is an expert? I’d only be able to recommend great authors we count amongst our numbers here, not great cover design artists.

I suspect none of us would go for a job interview as a cover designer as quick as we would as an author. The right tool for the right job IMO.

Incidentally, I watched a documentary on the famous cinema poster designer (ashamed to say I can’t recall his name atm) and was astounded at how exacting the requirements for each were.

pH

ETA - actually K2 you didn’t say you weren’t an expert twice! I’d argue against that anyway after your wonderful attempt upthread :D

This is the tale of the poor, very poor, working published author. Sometime between now and when my next book comes out I have to find the money to get a professional cover. With my lack of artistic ability a cover done by me would come out looking like K2's. In my experience it's worth the outlay. Still have to find the money, though. :cry:

This is the tale of the poor, very poor, working published author. Sometime between now and when my next book comes out I have to find the money to get a professional cover. With my lack of artistic ability a cover done by me would come out looking like K2's. In my experience it's worth the outlay. Still have to find the money, though. :cry:
I just had a quick look at fiverr and found what I consider decent covers offered @ under A$100. I'm sure one would have to do due diligence before forking over any $$$, but may be worth consideration? The one I found offered 'unique' covers that didn't use a template--but again, would need to check it out properly.

I don’t mean to come across as snooty. I’m one of those people who’re more interested in being told what I’ve done wrong rather than enabling poor workmanship with supportive posts to spare feelings. For example I’ve recently finished the writing (and 5 edits) of my own story which I began in 2011 - to throw something together on a Sunday afternoon in Paint/Word/Photoshop etc would be to do that effort an injustice

But then, I appreciate we’re all on a budget and you have to do what works for you.

Incidentally here’s a cover I made in PS a few years ago messing with templates etc.

View attachment 70405

Don't know how I missed this. It's simple but, wow, it is sooo effective. Well done, Brat. Now all you need is the book. :rolleyes:

Thinking back my fave colour is only half remembered, it was a political sci-fi novel set in the 1960s / 1970s about a body guard in a dictatorship, style of rollerball the original movie really.

But the image was just minimal group scene in a garden with a lot of yellow and stood out as utterly eye catching. It reminded me of a monet had he been bereft of any art skills at all, and yet it is one of the few covers I remember. So that must say something?
Gonna really bug me now trying to figure out what book that was!

@Danny McG
As said he was a bodyguard, newly minted in a controling state looking after an important gov official, one of the scenes I remember was that the minister had a sex party on his lawn (barely stated in words) and he didnt report it because he had not deemed it important and was pulled up for it.

The cover itself was mainly in yellows and showed, that I remember a garden party style event and he had yellow boots on??

This of course could have just been a bad dream but I remember having the book until I moved to england 10-12 years ago.

While going through this thread once more, it reminded me that traditional published authors--traditionally--had very little input on the covers.
One reason for this is that the publisher was the one with the money at stake and so they wanted to create something that would appeal to the readers of that genre. Cough Cough.

A lot of those covers show up in the bad cover web sites.

My first two novels I paid a POD to do that work and after seeing what they did I ended up doing my own and that was okay mostly because I got a special rate on those services so, in view of the fact their work was worse than mine I decided to just write that expense as a loss. First though I tried sending a mock-up and a note saying can they do something like this only more professional. Got back a note ' Oh this is really good and they sent back the mockup with title and author name on it for my review. I had to say 'stop the press'. Then I spent a long time reworking it all and that's what we did.

I still got criticism for those two covers and I suppose it is to be expected..

Now I control the covers. Someone in this forum still criticized them; however I think they are right for the work.

These are the original art and the cover design. converted to 24 bit to show how they appear in print.

as original-24.jpg
Anapels-String-cover-24.jpg

NOoriginal-24.jpg
Nacre-Oxide-24.jpg

AMoriginal-24.jpg
axis-mundi-24.jpg

These are copyright-published material, so I'm not sure I need input on how they look.

Last edited:
I've been there, Tink. I hated my first cover but could do nothing about it. I would literally kill for some of your talent.

I still got criticism for those two covers and I suppose it is to be expected..
There is always someone who has a differing opinion. That's ok.

Readers have preferences when it comes to covers. Authors have hopes. Marketing has needs. When I review a book I wonder what goes through the marketing's minds sometimes because it doesn't strike me as representative.
Authors can become personally attached to a cover, but its worth remembering that a cover (For most) is the 'LOOK IT! No! NOT THAT ONE!!!! ME!!! HERE!!! ME!!!!! You really want ME!' part of the product.
Just like narrowing down your novel to the synopsis, authors need to do the same for the cover and you'll end up with something that serves its purpose.
Self Pubs with years knotched on their belt understand this. Reedsy is a good place to pick up an experienced cover artist. Canva will allow you to stick one together youself without much effort or cost.
Droflet - I wouldn't worry, it did what it needed to do. ;)

View attachment 70405
Really love this @Phyrebrat. It's got everything; texture, mystery, a good font.
Does anyone know what professional cover art costs? If I go down the self-pub route, I will probably get one done professionally.

I've made a couple of 'placeholder' mock ups myself for the type of style and effect I am looking for. For me, my WIP centres on my characters, so I was always keen to have one of them front and centre.

What do you think of the mock ups? I was know the colour contrast is pretty hideous, and most of it is too dark. But that was the idea. I wanted stylish little hints of the character and the backdrop.

0 Title3 Dilate.jpg
0 Title8 Softened Dilated.jpg

I guess I would be looking at fine line between something that jumps out on a thumbnail, and something that jumps our and pokes you in the eyeballs in a bad way!!! Not sure I've achieved that above but, like I say, it's a placeholder.

I would give these to the artist as a outline suggestion for what I am looking for, along with the various character face options, as well as inspirations for the look of the various backdrops.

Does anybody have experience with professional book cover artists?

Last edited: