Doctor Who (38) 12:09- The Ascension of The Cybermen.

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
Can someone please explain the side story to me?
We have an abandoned baby, adopted by the couple who found him, we've interludes throughout the main story to watch him grow. At first I thought he was the last cyberman, then I thought he was the old man but he's the only one who ages in the village, leads me too think Brendan is the timeless child.

Pleased they didn't try and do this in one part. If I'm right, I don't know how they'll bring him into the main story but with the bombshell at the end all we need is Ruth Doctor to appear and most of story arcs in this series will conclude.
I've changed my mind about Yaz, I'd like her too remain as a companion, still want to see Ryan go.

I thought Brendan was the last Cyberman, especially after his last scene. Though you've put doubts in my mind. I expect all will be revealed in the final episode.

This was probably the best episode of the series so far, maybe beating the previous one. The last two episodes have given me hope for the next series if the writing team is the same. The three companions have been better used this series.

Doctor: Everyone stay here. I can protect you. Trust me.

30-seconds later, two dead.

Doctor: Er, run, I can't protect you.

:rolleyes:

I was completely unimpressed by this episode, but I will defer final judgement until after the last one as this one was just setting things up.

Not forgetting that she's basically responsible for the (almost) entire destruction of the human race...

A lot of running in this episode.

And a lot of running...

Why didn't they go back to the Tardis using the cyber shuttle?

Confusing side story with Brendan.

Are they really going to keep us hanging with the Timeless Child (unless it's Brendan)?

It was better than many other episodes but the bar is set very low. And it was too "shouty" and there was too much running.

Nice final scene though.

Presumably it will all come together in the last episode but there's a lot of loose ends to tie up: the cybermen, the Master, Gallifrey, the Timeless Child, Ruth Doctor. Could all be very rushed.

This seemed comfortably "old school" Doctor Who -- maybe because of the Cybermen.
I didn't follow what sort of modification the Lone Cyberman was making to his newly revived soldiers. If he was preparing each one individually, it would have taken a very long time to get the legions fully updated and marching to his Cyberium tune.
The most improbable action was the bulls-eye scored by the somersaulting, out-of-control ship onto the Cyberman carrier. As Graham noted, it was nice of the Cybermen to leave the door open for them.
Brendan must be the Timeless Child. I might have missed something, but what did they want from him after he got his retirement token -- the secret of his death-defying law enforcement career?

At the end Brendan was old but his Dad and the other copper hadn't aged, I think it's a simulation all in Brendan's mind. Perhaps Brendan is the wotsit, the Cyberiad thingummy and the Dad is the lone cyberman?

I did think Dad was the Lone Cyberman too - I didn't catch the cast, but I thought they looked similar.

I found this one kinda confusing, so like a few others I'm deferring judgement until the finale, when everything will make sense. Or not.