Heather Couper (1949-2020)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
If you ever watched programmes about space in the UK during the 80's and 90's, you probably saw Heather Couper as one of the interviewed experts.

Which I always thought was cool, because she was pretty much the only woman you used to see on these programs who was an actual scientist rather than presenter. She was young and fresh and relatable and that helped make the space sciences seem more accessible.

Anyway, BBC Obituary of her here:

Last edited:
I remember her. Her enthusiasm for her subject matter was infectious. A sad loss for the astronomic community.

This is very sad news. I remember her from my youth. So enthusiastic, and a very visible female scientist when there were very few in the public eye.

Very sad to hear this, what a shame, one of the very few female scientists on TV in her day, I am sure she will be missed, RIP Heather.

For anyone interested BBC 4 Extra are repeating a series she did on the radio about the history of astronomy, maybe from back in the seventies but I could be wrong, I would think all episodes are available to listen to on the B.B.C. web site.

There are not enough female scientists in the world just as there are not enough female chess masters and grandmasters (if those are the correct terms), hope this changes for the better over time!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dekket Book Discussion 2
W Critiques 2