Arranging scenes within chapters in my WIP

Phyrebrat

www.beanwriting.com
Supporter
Hello,

I've finished the first draft of my novel. Some might know it's written in 4 different time periods.

I'm struggling with what format to use. I'm not sure whether to have chapters organised specific to time periods or mix them within chapters.

Rght now, I'm using the following format (see Scrivener screenshot below) where the chapter is headed by number and within the chapter are headings per date. What this means is the reader will have nine points of view per chapter: One in 1178; three in 1347; two in 1761; and three in present day.

I'm wondering if it's better to have chapters by date instead? My question to you as a reader would be what is your preference?

[This is the first draft and right now it is 373,000 words (around 700 pages 8x5") which takes into account the editing I've been doing as I write.]

Anyway, here's the screenshot of my Scrivener MS:

Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 17.56.33.png

pH

373K 8 x 5 ? what tiny font are you using.
my 12pt font 6 x 9 at 250k was over 600 pages
Each of my 11pt font 8.5 x 5.5 100k to 120k novels are 239 to 270 pages.
That should be closer to 900 pages.

As long as it is clear what time they are in that should work.
There are some people I know who simply can't handle shifts in time in their reading and I don't think anything you do would help them.
They can barely follow them in movies and tv.

Well, possibly if you made three separate novels(each focused on a specific timeline).

This is a difficult one.

Personally I'd want to interleave the different time-lines and POVs, but 9 different but equally important POVs in each and every chapter is, I think, far too many, and even if you could reduce that to 4 POVs, one for each era, that's likely to be too bitty, too.

Rather than think of it in terms of structure, I think you'll be better off looking at it in terms of story flow. I'd probably keep Chapter One just to the present day, as you've 2 or 3 POVs to digest which is plenty, but start Chap 2 with a past era at a point which continues a theme or idea from the end of Ch1, then move into one other older time, which complements the first scene, then Ch 3 I'd probably go back to the present time followed by one era we've seen before, followed by one we've not. But each scene is linked to what's come before in some way.

Think of it as editing a film -- if there are too many short scenes to begin with, all different POVs, it can be very unsettling. Better to keep changes to a minimum to begin with, and then move onto quicker changes when the characters are established.

I've only ever had to juggle POVs, all within the same time line, but something that helped me was noting word counts for each scene, and trying to get each chapter within the same word count range, so I didn't go from very small, ie 1k or less, and then very large, ie 6k or more. Some people can handle that, but I found it easier to work with -- and to read -- chapters that were usually in the 3-4k range.

Not sure any of that is of help! But anyway, mega congrats on finishing!! Well done you!

Last edited:
Hmm... Though it's not a great example, just one I know off the top of my head, have you considered how Cloud Atlas was done (movie wise, can't speak to the book), and if so, what did YOU like or not like about it regarding the time/plot jumps?

EDIT: I would also add, since these various bit should all relate directly to the end, I suspect that early jumping around is fine. But, as you near the end, each era should be getting closer to its direct point of affect to that ending. More so, I'd think that the jumping should become less frequent the farther you go. So, it's not like 1,2,3,4-1,2,3,4-1,2,3,4-1,2,3,4--5. But 1,2,3,4-1,2,3,4-1,2-3,4-2,4--5... if that makes sense. :unsure::confused:

K2

Last edited:
I can only speak from my experience as a reader. I find some time jumps alright, interesting even, but too many are confusing.
I recently read "Rosewater" by Tade Thomspon, which I loved, but the time jumps were a bit intense. It got all mixed up in my mind. It was still a good read, but the character's experiences in different times simply merged with each other, and often didn't serve to explain the present.
I like @The Judge 's suggestion!! Avoid too many time jumps, but some are fine.

Well done with the first draft!!! That's fabulous Phyre!

Re your actual question, I think TJ breaks it down well, especially with this bit of advice:
Think of it as editing a film -- if there are too many short scenes to begin with, all different POVs, it can be very unsettling. Better to keep changes to a minimum to begin with, and then move onto quicker changes when the characters are established.

Thanks for the replies, all.

TBH It's a little embarrasing that I'd not even thought about doing as Her Honour has said because it is by far and away the most easy, and logical solution.

I was hoping to do the arrangement then let the draft marinate for 6 months but I feel I should probably get this decided now so that when I edit, I can see its structure in clarity, as well.

pH

I think the organization ought to be dictated by how the threads connect in the end. Establish a pattern that you stick to as the jumps come faster.