(Found) Constantly recreated soldier

Packratt

I read the book once pre 1985. It was a paperback one of my friends had and cover and first few pages were missing.

I don't believe it was written by one of the big authors like Asimov or Anderson.

Plot
There is a war in space. The main character enlists or is drafted. After the battle soldiers placed in suspended animation until next battle. Eventually as tech advances they are healed and rebuilt while in s.a. with many memories wiped. Then it progresses to where there information is stored on tape and they are cloned for battle.

Eventually, hundreds/thousands of years in future, a glitch happens and he starts to realize he is constantly being killed and recreated. He revolts and destroys tape storage.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Le

Was there a battle scene where he shoots an enemy soldier and the helmet rolls off, he sees his own face looking up at him, that's when he realises?

Was there a battle scene where he shoots an enemy soldier and the helmet rolls off, he sees his own face looking up at him, that's when he realises?
Can't say for sure. It's been 35 or more years and several thousand books since I read it.

What's the title of the one you are thinking of? If it is a good read I'd grab it even if it isn't the one I'm looking for.

This is too long a shot, but "Painwise" by James Tiptree, Jr. (Alice Sheldon) is completely about a man who is always rebuilt by the bots on his ship. He can't feel pain. He is not a soldier, but maybe once was -- he has been captive in his one-man ship for so long, immortal with all his involuntary rebuilding, that it can't find earth again. Indeed it turns out that it is pretty dead.

Dates are completely off; but it makes me think of John Scalzi "Old Man's War."

Like @Alex The G and T I am quite sure I've read this somewhere along the line.

The one Dannymcg mentioned is a good possibility but he didn't provide any info. If he would post a title and author I'd get it and check if it is the one.

I've read that story! Damned if I can remember the Author or Title though. :( He had a friend that signed up with him, but had eventually been killed. Seems like he later killed a copy of his Friend?

Seems like it was part of an Anthology/Short Story Collection.

I grabbed the ebook version of Eternity Brigade. Apparently it was updated for the ereader release to better reflect changes in technology.

I'm fairly certain this is the book I was looking for. After reading the ebook I found an original print version on ebay.

Thanks for the help.

I grabbed the ebook version of Eternity Brigade. Apparently it was updated for the ereader release to better reflect changes in technology.

I'm fairly certain this is the book I was looking for. After reading the ebook I found an original print version on ebay.

Thanks for the help.
@The Judge can I claim this as a GOT IT? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sounds interesting.
And proof positive that if your novel doesn't out-live you, you an keep updating it to fit current technology.
Eternity Plot-lines {over and over just with new technology}. What could go wrong?

@The Judge can I claim this as a GOT IT? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
No, you already have far too many -- clearly you've been panic-buying and hoarding them, along with the boxes of paper hankies. From now on we're going to ration the GOT ITs and distribute them fairly so the less advantaged amongst us can benefit from your arrant profligacy. :p