What are your thoughts on the movie Hawk the Slayer?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
A 1980 fantasy film staring Jack Palance and John Terry . This film is bad and cheap looking and a positive joy to watch. I so wanted a sequel to this film .:D

Ohhh...very fond memories of this.

But not for the reason you might think.

It was the first movie I saw at the cinema on my own.

But that's not the reason...

It's a sword and fantasy epic so just the thing for a young lad wanting some entertainment.

But that's not the reason either...
Farah Fawcett. Now that's the reason!

It is bad and cheap looking but in a joyful way. It really shouldn't work as a film but it does. I haven't watched it in years. I should rectify that.

We need more films like this . :LOL:

So a ten/eleven year old me sat down in the mostly empty cinema room in the little cinema of my home town in South Wales, looking forward to watching Hawk the Slayer...

After the usual commercials - all together now...dada, dada, dada, dada, dadada, dada, dada, dadaaaaaaaa, DA! - the film starts. Only it's not Hawk the Slayer, it's some sci-fi flick with the woman from Charlie's Angels.

I can't have walked into the wrong film as there's only two screens and the other is not showing anything. Huh! the projectionist has put the wrong film on! Ah well, he'll realise soon enough.

Pity, as it's quite good. And that woman from Charlie's Angels is wearing a lot less than she does on TV. A lot less! This is really good!

I then proceeded to watch the hugely enjoyable, but completely bonkers Saturn 3. And then Hawk the Slayer - learning only a few years ago that in the UK the two films were shown as a double bill.

I do remember enjoying the film, but Saturn 3 had more of an impression on me - and is one film I've seen a few times since.

So a ten/eleven year old me sat down in the mostly empty cinema room in the little cinema of my home town in South Wales, looking forward to watching Hawk the Slayer...

After the usual commercials - all together now...dada, dada, dada, dada, dadada, dada, dada, dadaaaaaaaa, DA! - the film starts. Only it's not Hawk the Slayer, it's some sci-fi flick with the woman from Charlie's Angels.

I can't have walked into the wrong film as there's only two screens and the other is not showing anything. Huh! the projectionist has put the wrong film on! Ah well, he'll realise soon enough.

Pity, as it's quite good. And that woman from Charlie's Angels is wearing a lot less than she does on TV. A lot less! This is really good!

I then proceeded to watch the hugely enjoyable, but completely bonkers Saturn 3. And then Hawk the Slayer - learning only a few years ago that in the UK the two films were shown as a double bill.

I do remember enjoying the film, but Saturn 3 had more of an impression on me - and is one film I've seen a few times since.
Thank you! It's been driving me mad trying to remember Farrah Fawcett in Hawk. I checked her imdb page and saw Saturn 3 and I thought maybe you were thinking of Logan's Run but I couldn't see how you would confuse either of those with Hawk.

Now I can get some sleep.

This film didn't get one Oscar nomination.:)

Hawk the Slayer and Smokey and the Bandit were the first films I ever watched on VCR. Parents came home with them and a brand new Sony C5 (betamax.....sigh...). I must have watched them 4 times each before they had to be returned after the weekend. Don't think I've seen Hawk the Slayer since. All I can remember is the terrible (scrub that, just watched the trailer and I like it) great special effect of the elf with his quick firing bow.

I have very fond memories of this movie. It has all the tropes, it is absolutely cheesy but in a good way if that makes any sense. And Jack Palance as the baddie. What else do you need.

Never knew there was a sequel.

I have very fond memories of this movie. It has all the tropes, it is absolutely cheesy but in a good way if that makes any sense. And Jack Palance as the baddie. What else do you need.

Never knew there was a sequel.

The man that produced it tried for years to get a sequel made.

Now that Im coupled up, I could use. good bad epic fantasy movie like this.:D

Hawk the Slayer, The Beastmaster, Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, and The Barbarians are the 80s fantasy movies for me. Krull and Red Sonja are too forgettable to be on the list. What makes these five so memorable?

Hawk the Slayer had everything you need for D&D. A swordsman, an elf, a giant, and a dwarf. Did Gary Gygax write the script?

Conan the Barbarian had Arnold... and James... and the entire theatre laughing out loud because my nine year old brother shouted, "Move your hands! I can't see!" when my mother tried to hide the nudity from him.

Conan the Destroyer for Wilt. He could've crushed Arnold.

The Beastmaster for Tanya's introduction.... for John Amos... and for so many unintentionally comedic moments.

Seth: 'Splain nis!
Dar: It was given to me by a slave girl.
Seth: Nah, dis ain't come from no slay gel.

Wanting me to clean my room, my mom would pick up two socks off the floor and say, "Podo... and Codo."

The Barbarians for not taking their movie too seriously.

@Matteo I love how your memory of Hawk has little to do with the quality of the film

A silly thought . What about a Hawk the Slayer tv show. produced by the people that did Hercules and Xena? If they play this for laughs, it could actually work, :)

A 1980 fantasy film staring Jack Palance and John Terry . This film is bad and cheap looking and a positive joy to watch. I so wanted a sequel to this film .:D

Each to their own.

I don't care what people think of it, I don't care if people thinks it is bad, cheap, cheesy, amateurish, good, great, amazing, whatever.

All I care is that I LIKE it. I love the idea of a magic sword that flies to your hand. Hawk dropped his sword, and all he had to do was hold out his hand, and it magically lift itself up and goes to Hawk's hand. No need to bend down and feel for it, while trying to keep your eyes on the villain, no chance of a risk of trying to quickly look down to find it, then look up to see the enemy coming at you. All you need to do is stand there, keep your eyes on the enemy, and call for your sword to come to your hand.

I always loved it.