Doctor Who (38) 12:06- Praxeus.

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
I'm disappointed, not that I didn't like this episode even it did come across preachy. Can't we have a TV programme that is solely for entertainment?

I wanted more on the other doctor, the sole cyberman or the timeless child instead we are again reminded how we are destroying the earth.

Last edited:
It does feel like the episode order has been mixed up. You can't have those questions left hanging - I mean you can't if it were for real, not just for us as viewers.

Anyway, the best lines were near the start after Gabriela's body search of Ryan:
Gabriela: "Do you work out?"
Ryan: "I do a lot of running!"

After that, it was just technobabble, dodgy science, dark corridors and countdowns with last minute saves. Pretty standard fare.

Wow, this was just like an episode of Touched with Kiefer Sutherland (interconnections and gyres) with an alien virus thrown in.

That said I still sort of enjoyed it.

Had this episode come before last week's then it would have been a mediocre, preachy (hmm...we've done global warming, what can we do next?) affair with a lot of running around and a rather obvious last second save.

However, it came after last weeks episode, so it was still all of the above but with a hefty dose of added irritation.

On the positive side, the skin-virus was suitably creepy looking. On the negative side though, it started out preachy and got worse by the end.

There was a lot of rushing about and fast talking but it wasn't really entertaining.

Preachy Dr Who is not a new thing - that aside I liked it. Not one I need to watch again but for an Ep6 it was ok.

Preachy Dr Who is not a new thing - that aside I liked it.
Indeed - The Green Death - amongst others had environmental groups, evil chemical companies, computers running amok - but this week's episode really wasn't the best. It wasn't the preaching as much as the technobabble. Dr Who never used to have that. It was always far too complicated to explain to mere mortals..

I'm disappointed, not that I didn't like this episode even it did come across preachy. Can't we have a TV programme that is solely for entertainment?

I wanted more on the other doctor, the sole cyberman or the timeless child instead we are again reminded how we are destroying the earth.
Gotta agree on both of these points. Less preaching, more entertainment. Already halfway through this tardy season, so why are they holding back on the good stuff?
Now, I've got to worry about how much plastic I'm consuming. (turns out, it's a big number: Here's How at Least 74,000 Microplastic Particles End Up in Your Diet in a Single Year) Maybe I'm not eating too much. I'm just adding plastic to my weight.

Indeed - The Green Death - amongst others had environmental groups, evil chemical companies, computers running amok - but this week's episode really wasn't the best. It wasn't the preaching as much as the technobabble. Dr Who never used to have that. It was always far too complicated to explain to mere mortals..

Yeah, that's why I always have to laugh whenever people complain about Dr. Who being too progressive these days - did they ever SEE the old stuff? There was a six part story dedicated to animal welfare and the Doctor becoming vegetarian for crying out loud!

I've had a catch up this week, and I have to say I'm enjoying this series so far, apart from the Orphan 55 blip. I'm liking the extra drama between Team Tardis, the darker stories, and I'm finding I actually remember things that happened in previous episodes, which I found I didn't last series. My only gripes are that we always seem to be on Earth, and Graham has gone from being the standout character to being the comic relief. It feels like he finished his story arc, and is now hanging around for... Reasons.

I agree that Doctor Who always has been preachy (at least the new who stuff i have seen) but this season seems to be overly so and in a very blunt manner.
I actually liked the technobabble at some parts (the ones that were somewhat correct and could be understood).
I really liked that they had a gay astronaut without making a fuss about it. And I enjoyed the different people of team Tardis doing different things - especially Yaz.
I did very much not like what they are doing with Graham.
Also is it just me or would Gabriela have made a better companion than Ryan and Yaz?

I mostly enjoyed this episode but it seemed clumsy in parts.

The preachiness was ham-fisted and for that reason annoyed me. When it's done well (like in the Rosa Parks episode last series), I think it's good to raise issues. There was one point in Praxeus where Bradley Walsh (not Graham!) in the background seemed to be thinking "oh, shut up Doctor."