Obscure title about warrior candidates

Lordrussell

In trying to keep this concise, the novel I'm looking for is based on a nine foot tall inhabitant of an agricultural planet who feels he is a prime candidate to enter an extremely brutal military traing school for the sole purpose of becoming the planets ultimate security professional/general. All in the Hope's of preparing their planet to defend themselves for whatever attack may occur,

The two "scenes" I remember from the text took place in a bar where the cadets & some staff were fighting in a ring. A significantly smaller individual asks to spare our 9 foot tall protagonist to spar. Naively, the hero asks, "what are the rules?", to which the opponent replies, "if one of us should knock the others eye out, don't step on it." At which point our hero is immediately knocked unconscious.

The last scene is foggy, but I believe the cadets are close to graduating to the next level of training, but only after they survive 15+ days on the planet Hell. Memory serves it was mentioned that the planet was completely inhabited with lifeforms that was trying to kill you in one fashion or another. Even the grass would try to eat you.

Other than that there's not else I can remember.

The cover was primarily white with red insets. The hero was positioned as if you were looking up at him. He was also wearing what seemed to be a pressure suit and helmet.

Hope this is enough information to trigger someone's memory.

Oh, I have reason to believe it was written between the late 60s, early 70s. Definitely no in the 90s.

Thank you a lot folks.

Well, it looks like staying concise didn't work, so why not add any other details that you can remember? The more information you can provide, the more likely that someone can find a match.

See this sticky post for some prompts that might help you to dredge up additional details.