Looking for title of sci fi hard cover that I read as a kid in 1963. Story set on an ice planet inhabited by bird like creatures who skate on talons.

Tamvod

I read this inthe hospital having my appendix out. Have been trying to find it since. The human in the story is often carried by his birdlike friend as it skates fast distances on its talons. The book was hardcover with a jacket . I am assuming it was published in the early 60's

It could be Icerigger by Alan Dean Foster - the inhabitants of the icebound planet Tran-ky-ky move on natural skates on their feet, using winglike appendages to use the wind for propulsion

Wiki entry Icerigger - Wikipedia

If this has been mis-remembered (as can happen all too easily in my case), there's a slim possibility it could be Algis Budrys' "Iron Thorn".

I can't find a good link, but here's something:
THE IRON THORN: Honor White Jackson was a human being. But his planet was not Earth, nor his time Now. His world was dominated by a giant Iron Thorn. Beyond the reach of this tower there was supposedly nothing - except a frozen, airless desert where huge winged beasts called Amsirs roamed.