February / March 100 Word Anonymous Challenge Discussion Thread

I could certainly leave more time for guessing. Technically, the biggest constraint is not running the Anon while the 300 is going. So, we do have more wiggle room to play the matching game, as long as the participants are cool with not knowing the winner for a while.

In many of the early runs we had longer for the guessing, basically waiting until everyone had had enough of it, or until it was too late not to start the next month. (Of course this was when we didn't have month cross-overs.)
We had shorter times available for writing, I think, though; partly in order to avoid conflict with the 75.

This meant that although the winning story was known after the vote, the winning writer was only known to the month runner and to the writer him or herself until usually just before the start of the next run.
The guessing game started to get shorter as fewer people were guessing (me included). The addition of a 2 story possibility may inject a bit of enthusiasm back into the game.

I don't usually participate in the guessing part of the challenge. It would be purely 100% guessing and there's no fun in that really. Just look at the quote under my avatar for my last result with that!
But the possibility of entering 2 stories is something I would be in favor of. Firstly, It would save me from the sometimes agonizing choice I have to make which story to submit (and saving me later from muttering: "I told you, you should have entered the other one!") Secondly, guessing the pairs is at least a new guessing game and as such intriguing.
We could try it once or twice and see how it goes.

That's the nice thing about being an unofficial challenge. We can try anything we like.
I think originally the idea was simply not to have our names on the entries, to allow people to be a bit less self-conscious about entering.
The guessing game came afterwards, and the rules have been evlving ever since.

It would be purely 100% guessing and there's no fun in that really
Actually, it can become a logic problem, which can be fun (Note I'm using fun at its most loosest ;) )

My approach:
  • Create a spreadsheet, or a table of any kind
  • List all the titles in one column and use the author names as column headers (or vice versa)
  • Make my guesses
  • If I don't get any correct, then put an N (No) at the cross section between my author/story guesses
  • If I get say two correct, then put a P (Possible) at the cross section between my author/story guesses
  • And obviously I can put a Y (Yes) against my own entry and an N against everyone else and every other entry
  • Wait for other people's guesses and repeat the process.
  • If they don't get any correct, then put an N (No) at the cross section between their author/story guesses
  • If they get say three correct, then put a P (Possible) at the cross section between my author/story guesses. If there is already a P at the intersection, then add another P

After a few guesses from other people, the table will become full of Xs and Ps and those with the most Ps will probably be the correct author/story match.
And then I pounce and make a second guess and correctly identify every pairing * (y)

Hmmm? I think I need some more excitement in my life

* This has never happened (n)

Actually, it can become a logic problem, which can be fun (Note I'm using fun at its most loosest ;) )

My approach:
  • Create a spreadsheet, or a table of any kind
  • List all the titles in one column and use the author names as column headers (or vice versa)
  • Make my guesses
  • If I don't get any correct, then put an N (No) at the cross section between my author/story guesses
  • If I get say two correct, then put a P (Possible) at the cross section between my author/story guesses
  • And obviously I can put a Y (Yes) against my own entry and an N against everyone else and every other entry
  • Wait for other people's guesses and repeat the process.
  • If they don't get any correct, then put an N (No) at the cross section between their author/story guesses
  • If they get say three correct, then put a P (Possible) at the cross section between my author/story guesses. If there is already a P at the intersection, then add another P

After a few guesses from other people, the table will become full of Xs and Ps and those with the most Ps will probably be the correct author/story match.
And then I pounce and make a second guess and correctly identify every pairing * (y)

Hmmm? I think I need some more excitement in my life

* This has never happened (n)
I quite enjoyed this part of it when I wasn't hosting. My best score was 8 correct of 17. I did the logic table as well. And the whole thing works best when more people participate, so you can get more info--basically a big game of Clue.
While I've never been prolific enough to have 2 stories to work with, I think opening it up to multiple submissions from the same author elevates the challenge.
So:
- Allow 2 entries
- Maximize time for guessing

Is the 5 days still enough time to vote? Not everyone who entered voted. I did PM everyone individually to remind.

I see I have a lot to learn when it comes to this sophisticated form of guessing. But it leans on the assumption enough people participate in it and produce data you can use. Which wasn't the case last time.
You could extent the voting to a week. And it could partly overlap with the guessing, I think? It will takes several days to get in inkling about who wrote what.

I see I have a lot to learn when it comes to this sophisticated form of guessing. But it leans on the assumption enough people participate in it and produce data you can use. Which wasn't the case last time.
You could extent the voting to a week. And it could partly overlap with the guessing, I think? It will takes several days to get in inkling about who wrote what.
Also, the more you are involved in all the challenges, the more likely you may pick up writing 'styles' of members.

Also, if you can see who voted for what then it makes it easier to narrow down the author. Similarly when people comment on who they voted for and their shortlists

Not sure if this is good or bad. Although it does open up the option of throwing in a red-herring and saying your own entry is on your shortlist ;)

:unsure:

The trouble with overlapping the guessing with the voting is that initial idea was that the voting took place before you had any idea who the authors were.
Yes, I think that the voting should be for anonymous stories, and completely separated from the guessing. (i.e. Poll closed then guessing starts). Maybe just a longer time for votes, 7 days vs 5? For the people that didn't get a chance to vote, would extra time have made a difference?
Also, if you can see who voted for what then it makes it easier to narrow down the author. Similarly when people comment on who they voted for and their shortlists

Not sure if this is good or bad. Although it does open up the option of throwing in a red-herring and saying your own entry is on your shortlist ;)

:unsure:
Well, I personally didn't like the anonymous voting, and it was a mistake in the poll set up. Also, I like having discussions about the stories and seeing shortlists and such. Even if it helps out guessing, which is not easy at the best of times.

We could leave the voting as it is but extend the guessing to the end of the following month, when there isn't a 100 because of the 300.

Also, because it's a bit of fun, and as @farntfar says it's unofficial and we can try what we like, the setter of the challenge could introduce their own little quirk. Like the story has to start with a certain sentence or has to include a certain word.

I'm warming to this.

Plenty of time to discuss it.

It would be possible, with a little work, for the guessing to continue even after the beginning of the next writing period for a 100. It would require this months winner to give the theme and genre for next month to this month's runner. This month's runner would pass this to next month's runner, who could then set up and start next month, without him or herself being aware oh this month's winner and therefore being able to continue to guess on this month.

Confused? You won't be after this explanation.

This month is run by person A
Who publishes entries 1 to 13 by persons A thru M.
The votes are cast and story 3 wins. At this point everyone knows that story 3 has won but only A and G (the author of 3) know who wrote it and the guessing begins.
Author G gives next months theme and genre to A who passes this information, but not G's identity to author H who has volunteered to run the next month.
H sets up and starts the the next month for entries and at the same time the guessing continues for this month, still with only A and G aware who wrote story 3, until everyone is fed up with guessing and the list of authors with their entries (including the winner) are revealed.

Got it?
Never mind. I'll get my coat.

It would be possible, with a little work, for the guessing to continue even after the beginning of the next writing period for a 100. It would require this months winner to give the theme and genre for next month to this month's runner. This month's runner would pass this to next month's runner, who could then set up and start next month, without him or herself being aware oh this month's winner and therefore being able to continue to guess on this month.

Confused? You won't be after this explanation.

This month is run by person A
Who publishes entries 1 to 13 by persons A thru M.
The votes are cast and story 3 wins. At this point everyone knows that story 3 has won but only A and G (the author of 3) know who wrote it and the guessing begins.
Author G gives next months theme and genre to A who passes this information, but not G's identity to author H who has volunteered to run the next month.
H sets up and starts the the next month for entries and at the same time the guessing continues for this month, still with only A and G aware who wrote story 3, until everyone is fed up with guessing and the list of authors with their entries (including the winner) are revealed.

Got it?
Never mind. I'll get my coat.

Let's do it!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Ah! That old chestnut. Pretending you haven't entered yet to throw everyone off when the guessing begins :sneaky:
Looking back and I am disheartened to realise I actually failed to enter this one!
I must have had a faint memory of posting but it was to the 'discussion' thread.

(I suppose the pandemic thingy didn't help, I fancy my mind was elsewhere)