Netflix: October Faction

Nice to see someone else was faster then me. The Netflix flagged this series to me as recommended, but I was doubting it because of the teen rating. It is nothing like the teen-shows in the past. But it's not like a Buffy either, even though there is a similarity between these shows. In fact, I was surprised to see IMDB giving this 6.1 rating, when it's actually much better.

If you read those reviews, you'll notice that one after another there is a lot of hatred towards a gay-scenes. Especially seeing males kissing each other. And that's why they give this series one-stars. The truth is this is at least four star program. And it's kind of rare that they have thought carefully on how to present the whole world. It is wrapped in mystery and the producers take their time on drip feeding the audience with information.

So far I have not found any mistakes, and I certainly do not get a monster-of-the-week feeling from any episodes. Instead I get recollections from other shows, like for example the Fringe, or Buffy, and although some scenes might be similar they're not copying stuff. The October Faction is a dark urban fantasy that is wrapped in a mystery. The mystery is the world, the truth about what happened and how stuff works behind the closed doors.

At the centre of whole thing is Allen family. You could call them monster hunters up to the youngest ones. Except the young ones don't know anything, because they have been sheltered for all their life. They and most of the humans know nothing. Those who know are different. And to say more about it, would be spoiling.

The October Faction is based on a comic. You can find it from the Amazon or you can buy copies from a well stocked comic shop or online at The October Faction, Vol. 1 | IDW Publishing

Never heard of it but just watched the trailer and seems up my street so gonna add it to the list. Annoyingly this is the sort of stuff I write and while popular on TV, freaking literary agents aren't interested.

I am very late to this and watched it last week on Netflix. It had it's flaws, some interesting ideas, and as mentioned above surprisingly adult.

I felt they rushed the story along and some of the characters were poorly written. However it is worth a look and disappointing that it was cancelled.

Back