any recommendations!

caladanbrood said:
Well, I'm obviously gonna recommend Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series, starting with "Gardens of the Moon", but I always do, so theres not much point in saying it again;)

What you might wanna try is Chris Wooding's "Braided Path" series (the first is "The Weavers of Saramyr") or anything by Neil Gaiman. He's a bit of a different author, but extremely good:) "American Gods" is particularly readable:)

neil gaiman = semi god hehe

Tikal said:
Hey,

I suggest the books of the banned and banished (Wit'ch series) by James clems if u like magic in ur books.

Or you could try Jude Fisher (I've only just started reading these myself but there pretty good).

Robert Newcomb is also pretty good for magic, but its got alot of action in it too.

David gemmell books are also great (tho no magic), and i recommend them to everyone!

:)

The Wit'ch series were awful IMO after the first book. I mean, the first book I enjoyed. The second book the characterisation and plot started to get slower, simpler and worse. By the third book the characterisation became terrible, as one of the main characters didn't act anything like he should, and invincible characters are not good. The first book isn't bad, but after that they aren't worth reading at all. I'd even recommend David Eddings Belgariad over them, and I don't consider them that good. Gemmell's quite good, but Fritz Leiber is the master of heroic fantasy. I've heard Newcomb was poor, but haven't read any of his books so I can't comment on them.

Tikal said:
Ive read one and two already, They kinda remind me of the Liveship traders trilogy by robin hobb, but mayb thts just the cover! Book 3 is out over here (UK) in hardback. Ive ordered from amazon n i bin waitin for the postman everyday!!!! Its still isnt here.

It seems the uk gets all teh books i wanna read first, its great! FOr instance i read the new James clemens book shadowfall, have u?
:)
Tikal,

Haven't read anything by James Clemens, doesn't look like Brys thought that much of them so as we seem to have similar tastes not sure if I'll be checking them out too soon DOH!!.. :D

Yep I've seen HB copies of Rose Of The World in my local bookshopds but I tend to hang out for the PB editions, bit cheaper for me.

The Saga of Recluce series by L E Modesitt Jnr
The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist
The Last Rune Series by Mark Anthony

Just for starters... :D

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm off book shopping now (after i see my dad, fathers day and all), so gonna see what i can pick up from my long list :D. Time to spend money i dont have hehe.

will let you know what i get!

And will laugh at the size of her overdraft!!! :D

Probably off to see her dad, to ask if he'll pass some money her way to cover the cost of the books... ;)

The Master™ said:
And will laugh at the size of her overdraft!!! :D

Probably off to see her dad, to ask if he'll pass some money her way to cover the cost of the books... ;)

haha, like my dad would give me anywhere near enough :D

I was a bit silly and spent a bit too much in books etc. fantasy wise though it only had a few of the books that you lot recommended (which was a bit annoying)

Anyhoo, fantasy wise i bought:
Kate elliot - kings dragon (which i started reading on the bus home hehe)
greg keyes - the briar king
david gemmel - legend

(Animaiden - they dont stock the halfblood chronicles apparently - bit annoying)

and general fiction i bought:
Anne Tyler - The acidental tourist

THEN i went into HMV and bought:
Batman the animated series boxset :D

*Also bought a hat, tweezers. earings and socks incase anyones interested lol*

Whoa you've done quite well there Kaneda!

I'll be most interested to see how you find Kings Dragon and The Briar King, part of two of my fav series.

Happy reading... :D

I didn't even see that part of your post... sorry Gollum! Hope I didn't step on your toes...

Yup, wonderwoman is back... Have to be wonderwoman when dealing with kids. ;)

Alia said:
I didn't even see that part of your post... sorry Gollum! Hope I didn't step on your toes...

Yup, wonderwoman is back... Have to be wonderwoman when dealing with kids. ;)
Hey I'm happy for Wonderwoman to step on my toes anytime.... :rolleyes:

I have nothing but nice things to say about you Cal! Always good things to say... Always!!!

Any parent out there will agree that the toughest, most challenging, yet rewarding job out there today, is raising, nuturing and loving little people. Building a confident person from scratch often takes a super hero(ine)! ;)

Well just finished the kings dragon....

And i liked it! Really liked the characters of Liath, Hugh (even though i felt i shouldnt!), Alain (took a bit of time, liked him from when he got the hounds) and frater agius.

But...

I wasn't too keen on how kates church was blatently the christian church. it took a long time for that to stop bothering me. I'm not sure why this didn't work for me though...

Also
*******SPOILER - highlight to read the below - don't want to ruin anything for those who havent read it :D *********************

i did get quite jumbled at the beginning of the book, mostly because it took a long time to realise that the baby that alia abandoned wasn't liath or alain and it took a long time until we did meet who the baby actally was.
*****************end of spoiler******************
plus it did jump from story to story frequently so it took a bit of time to get used to the characters.

But apart from those i liked it, liked the story, liked the character, liked her writing style. Theres a few things that haven't been explaining with enough detail (like where the hounds do come from) but i hope they'll be some form of better explaination in the other books! which I'm looking forward to reading! :D :D

Like alia says time to read Book 2 and YES things do become a bit clearer in Book 2 and later books but some larger issues will not be resolved until the final 2 books (one due about now, final one by Feb 2006) before most loose threads are tied up I assume.

Glad you enjoyed the first book, expect a simlar standard and particualry writing style for the remaininig books although from memory there's more battles in Book 1 than Book 2 and than later books.. Alia can probably clarify this... :rolleyes:

O im not too bothered if it doesnt have as many battle scenes. Theyre not the most important part in a book to me.

I ll be looking for the prince of dogs after i finish the briar king and legend. so give me about 2 weeks :D