Hoping to Find Novel--Aliens Raining Down Fire and Ice--Last Bible on Earth--Read in the 80s?

pbergonzi

The novel begins with a man holding the last bible on earth, fleeing from aliens flying in, I believe, a small airborne chariot.
At the end of the book, a lone alien carrying a bible is fleeing the other aliens, having been converted to a belief in the teachings of the bible.
Part of what happens along the way is the aliens coming and using some sort of portable sheds that purport to epiphanize/convert earthlings, when in fact it is some sort of technological mind-wipe. The human resistance learns about it by somehow recording the last experience of a volunteer subject, whose final experience or thought is broadcast in a split-second to a bird, who in turn plays part in some sophisticated relay that allows the resistance to learn what really happens in the conversion shed.
At some point, there is an all-out battle, where the aliens literally rain down fire and ice (or fire and rain? or burning rain?) from their airborne chariots.
Somehow, the protaganist, at least I think there is one, converts one alien to his own beliefs, thus allowing the novel to end as it began--someone fleeing persecution, and idealizing the longevity of the bible.

I don't know anything about the Christian SF beyond the "Left Behind" series. I did some seraching without success, it's a subset of a subset of the genre, going to be a tough find.

Do you remember anything about the alien invaders? (humanoid, squid people, centaurs, etc?)
In what country did most of the action take place? What part of that country?

The novel begins with a man holding the last bible on earth, fleeing from aliens flying in, I believe, a small airborne chariot.
At the end of the book, a lone alien carrying a bible is fleeing the other aliens, having been converted to a belief in the teachings of the bible.
Part of what happens along the way is the aliens coming and using some sort of portable sheds that purport to epiphanize/convert earthlings, when in fact it is some sort of technological mind-wipe. The human resistance learns about it by somehow recording the last experience of a volunteer subject, whose final experience or thought is broadcast in a split-second to a bird, who in turn plays part in some sophisticated relay that allows the resistance to learn what really happens in the conversion shed.
At some point, there is an all-out battle, where the aliens literally rain down fire and ice (or fire and rain? or burning rain?) from their airborne chariots.
Somehow, the protaganist, at least I think there is one, converts one alien to his own beliefs, thus allowing the novel to end as it began--someone fleeing persecution, and idealizing the longevity of the bible.

Can’t help with your request, but welcome to Chrons!

It reminds me of Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny - but that invokes Hindu/Buddhism.

I don't know anything about the Christian SF beyond the "Left Behind" series. I did some seraching without success, it's a subset of a subset of the genre, going to be a tough find.

Do you remember anything about the alien invaders? (humanoid, squid people, centaurs, etc?)
In what country did most of the action take place? What part of that country?
Thank you. I "recollect" only that the aliens were only non-human, possibly 4-limbed, bipedal. But memory is its own challenge.
Seems to me that one of the conversion sheds--similar to a huckster's snake-oil wagon, but a little more solid--was in the country, with a line of people waiting to get in to be epiphanized. It really would have been probably 40+ years ago I read it--give or take--those were my sci-fi years.
Good of you to mention "Left Behind"--while not of the series, there is a little resemblence--could easily have been a precursor or influence, though.

Back