(Found) Series of "medical vampire" short stories from the 70s-80s

Bekx

Hi. I'm on the hunt for a set of short stories that most likely appeared in Analog, Isaac Asimov, or F&SF between 1976 to through the 1980s, possibly the 1990s--and it's possible there was another magazine involved, but I know we subscribed to those back then so they are the most likely. The main character was a vampire who worked as a medic in a war. The vampire was engaged in medical work. They were doing blood transfusions and were figuring out that there were different blood types but couldn't distinguish them, and he would "taste" the blood and be able to tell which went with which.

I do remember thinking about what would happen if this vampire came in contact with the AIDS virus. So probably the stories appeared in the mid-80s.

I believe the author was female.

That's about all I remember. I've tried looking at back-issue content lists, but I haven't had any luck so far. Does anybody remember these stories?

The main character was a vampire who worked as a medic in a war. The vampire was engaged in medical work. They were doing blood transfusions and were figuring out that there were different blood types but couldn't distinguish them, and he would "taste" the blood and be able to tell which went with which.
I'm inferring from your question that this war was pre WW1?
The medical people didn't know blood groups so was it like the Crimean War maybe?
Spanish American War?