On picking the right piece for a critique.

Dave Carignan

I don't have enough posts yet for a critique, but once I do I would like to post a scene on here. I haven't done it before here or elsewhere. When posting one what do you feel is the most beneficial scene to post for a critique? A scene I feel is strong, needs work or otherwise? I know in one scene or chapter it can be hard for a reader to know the story especially a random scene in the middle of a novel. Is a short critique more for the the strength in the writing or more than the story itself?

Hi. First of all, I'll move this over to Writing Discussion, since Critiques is only for the actual pieces to be critiqued. When I've done that, I'll come back and answer the question!

I'd say start with something you like; but you're not in love with.(It's not all that important to you.)
I say that because it is likely to be picked apart.

This will give you something to gauge from before you post anything else.

Once you have an idea of how brutal critique-rs can be, pick things where you are having problems and tell us what you know of the problem even if it's that you don't know what the problem is.

But really, you can throw anything you like--but not something already published.

Also, if you are new to the process, you'll likely go through a number of readers before you find a good fit. I had one who was a very nice person but whose comments never went beyond proofreading. But I could always rely on them to find trailing spaces!

Right, that's done!

First of all, I'd suggest you start with something shorter than the word limit allows -- say 600-800 words, perhaps. That's plenty for us to see what's going on with your writing, and give general advice. Once you've got the first one under your belt, and you've applied whatever is suggested, then you can put up longer pieces as necessary -- but the longer the extract, the fewer critiques you're likely to get.

Second, I'd say post something where you need help. It's often easiest to give the opening scene, as we'll be coming to it fresh as any reader would, so you don't need to give explanations as to who people are and what has been happening. If there are things that need sorting out in your writing, then they're usually obvious from the start, so whatever is said, you can then apply to later scenes.

But if there's a particular scene which is worrying you, and it comes from the middle of the book, then give a bit of scene-setting eg "We've seen Fred leave the militia, and we know he's in love with Bert, but this is the first time we see them together." Sometimes things make sense only in context, so if there's something in the piece which is odd, explain that eg "We've already seen that blackened teeth are seen as desirable."

And yes, what we'll be looking for is how you tell the story -- whether your prose is grammatical or it's overwhelmed with adverbs, if you're using POV well, if description is flat, or you're info-dumping. The actual story isn't something that we can worry about at this stage.

And before putting something up, do read around the pieces already up. Critiques can seem to be brutal, so check out what people say and how they say it, and prepare yourself. And when you put something up, just remind us this is your first time and ask us to be gentle -- most people will give you slack if you ask for it. After reading the comments, don't feel the need to respond at once, particularly if you're upset. Just thanks the critiquers and leave it at that.

One other thing, if possible, avoid putting up work which you've only just started -- better yet, don't put anything up until the whole first draft is finished. If the critiques are upsetting, you might get too discouraged to return to the work if you've not got far along with it.

Look at any of my scenes, and make sure, to use something different... I'm still smoldering :cautious:

;) Seriously though, each time I've posted something here, has been extremely rewarding and beneficial.

K2

I would post something that is the most general or broad sample of your writing, rather than look to solve a particular issue. If you haven't been through critique at all, you likely have issues you haven't even considered before, and addressing those issues is probably going to effect all of your writing - including the piece that you feel has a particular issue.

Most new writers are largely blind to their mistakes. Fix the broad issues (passive voice, clunky word choice) before wading into the specifics of a single scene.

Dave, thank you for asking this question. I had the same one in mind. I am finding these answers really useful.

I would post something that is the most general or broad sample of your writing, rather than look to solve a particular issue. If you haven't been through critique at all, you likely have issues you haven't even considered before, and addressing those issues is probably going to effect all of your writing - including the piece that you feel has a particular issue.

Most new writers are largely blind to their mistakes. Fix the broad issues (passive voice, clunky word choice) before wading into the specifics of a single scene.
I defiantly go through my writing knowing I am blind to probably many mistake. I critique I assume would show those mistakes undoubtedly.

And before putting something up, do read around the pieces already up. Critiques can seem to be brutal, so check out what people say and how they say it, and prepare yourself. And when you put something up, just remind us this is your first time and ask us to be gentle -- most people will give you slack if you ask for it. After reading the comments, don't feel the need to respond at once, particularly if you're upset. Just thanks the critiquers and leave it at that.

I have pretty thick skin, but I can defiantly understand this. When the time comes ill give that friendly reminder being my first one so you guys don't kill me too much. Thought its probably inevitable being how raw I am.