Lee Child retires from writing

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Looks like The Sentinel - the 25th Jack Reacher novel - will be the last to be written by author Lee Child, who instead intends to hand the character over to his brother Andrew Grant to continue:

I had no idea that Andrew Grant was his brother, I've read a few of his and they're in a somewhat different writing style to Lee Child

Why are so many people scared of letting their things die off naturally? :/
I think perhaps for the $$ Steven?

Who else but Lee Child (Jim Grant)will be able to write Reacher? Once I start a Lee Child novel I lie in bed too late awake reading and then carry on when I wake up, then after a few years I read it again -- by which time I've forgotten the plot -- and exactly the same thing happens, lol.

Dick Francis wrote the Dick Francis books. He died; Felix Francis isn't Dick. Books by Clive Cussler keep coming, or did until recently, but they're just not CC.

It's the new world.

On the other hand it's a bit sad really that the works of writers like JD Mcdonald, Eric Ambler and Ed McBain so quickly fade into oblvion once the writers are gone?

Last edited:
I saw Lee at the Southbank centre last year and tbh he didn't look well at all. Not sure if that has something to do with it.
Apparently he's a very heavy smoker.

Strangely I just finished reading his first book 'Killing Floor' last week. I hadn't read it. There was obviously quite a lot of guidance from agent and editor involved in getting it together, and it's interesting how his pared down style evolves as the series progresses, until there is nothing getting in the way of the story. Every word moves the story along.

The plots are sometimes a bit porous, though. He seems to be making it up as he goes. But it's page turning stuff, imo.

Last edited:

Back