(Found) 80s submarine SF from Britain?

Qwerty

Looking for a British science fiction novel written in the 1980s. It was about the crew of a nuclear submarine, who resurface only to find their world gone and Britain peopled by a primitive culture. They don’t know if they’ve been catapulted into the past, transported to an alternate earth, or been frozen and thawed a million years in the future. I started reading a copy at Tower Books (too expensive an import to afford at the time) and have no idea how it ended. Would like to track it down - any ideas on the title?

The only novel I can think of which features a nuclear submarine displaced in time is Philip E High's 'Time Mercenaries' but I don't think it matches the 'peopled by a primitive culture' part of your question

Thanks, MartLG! I may have remembered it wrong. At any rate, High's short story 'Routine Exercise' sounds more like the tale I'm looking for, although I thought it was a novel-length work. I assumed it was written in the '80s, but if it was High's, then it would be written in the '60s, republished in the 1980s. It was also bloomin' expensive, taunting me from the endcap display at Tower Books, only to disappear not long after. Imports!

NBFB, the plot sounds very like The Land That Time Forgot - didn't they enter a prehistoric land after surfacing from a sub in that? Was there a sequel that was novelised and set in Britain by any chance?

The description sounds a lot like an Edgar Rice Burrows novel except for the "Atomic" submarine. The one in ERB's "Beyond 40", I believe that was the original title, was a standard diesel powered sub. It was set in a future where the America's had been isolated from Europe for centuries and submarines were used to patrol the 40th longitude to prevent contact with the Old World. One sub was sabotaged and drifted east of the line, which was a capital offense, and the Captain was abandoned in a small boat. He managed to sail to England where he found a primitive land inhabited by barbarians and wild animals escaped from zoos. I believe it was written during WW1 and was an extrapolation of what the war would do to Europe. It was reprinted by ACE in the 60's or 70's in paperback format, under a different title, I believe.

I’ve also been searching for this. I read it as a child in the 1980s. It was a Paperback trilogy or series. There was a British nuclear submarine that gets somehow lost in time (maybe frozen in ice) And the crew wake up in the far future to find an England that’s reverted back to Stone Age technology and forests. The protagonist is Americans and soon gets separated from the sub (i think its destroyed somehow) so must survive alone. It’s basically modern man civilises barbarian tribes until the bad guys turn out to be pale faced people wearing black shiny uniforms who have lived in underground bunkers for generations having survived the disaster or war that wiped out surface civilisation and want to use their high technology to conquer the surface dwellers world. The cover of the first book was a giant tree-scape with a man silhouetted. The second book showed the black clad vault dwellers carrying rifles, also against a Jungle background

Last edited: