(Found) Sci Fi story about diving into the sun to collect energy.

I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen despite everyone's awesome help. The book is just too old and obscured by other books of the same name and wasn't popular enough to survive history.
A huge thanks to all who tried to help, perhaps sometime in the future someone will stumble across a copy and my quest will end.
Thank you everyone, this forum is awesome and I think I'll stay for a while.:giggle:
If you leave the forum, do check in from time to time as I may have got round to finding the story that I'm trying to remember (which may not be your story, but you never know...). In fact, check in every so often, as it's surprising how certain of our members sniff out stories aeons down the line.

It's not. ISFDB only lists Brin's novel. It must be called something else.
ISFDB obviosly isn't perfect. I remember the cover and I read the book several times. I've been polite here. why would I lie? So far Ive found two books and two short stories with the same name one of which may even be it but I can't find the particular volume of beyond science fiction and fantasy no21.
Thank you for your help Mr Bick.

No one has accused you of lying, or of wasting their time. Your memory may just not be quite as good as you think it is. Please don't bite the hand that feeds. This thread will remain here, new members will join, people will find it via internet searches, if it is published then someone will have read it or have a copy, and they will come along eventually and explain what the problem has been finding it.

ISFDB obviosly isn't perfect. I remember the cover and I read the book several times. I've been polite here. why would I lie? So far Ive found two books and two short stories with the same name one of which may even be it but I can't find the particular volume of beyond science fiction and fantasy no21.
Thank you for your help Mr Bick.
The short story in Beyond, by Robert Medcalf, is titled “Sundivers” plural. I didn’t mean to sound impolite, just trying to help. I strongly suspect the title is close but not the same.

Hi,

Don't know if this will help, but Orgone was a pseudo scientific / quackery idea of universal positive energy from the mid twentieth century. There were devices called orgone accumulaters (wardrobes with silver linings!). Maybe someone used something from this in the book you read.

The other thing that struck me were the bases on Mercury - and the only thing that echoed there was Asimov's Space Ranger books. None were based on the sun but he had one set on Mercury and another on Venus.

Cheers, Greg.

I thought for a moment that it could be The Wind From The Sun (or Sunjammer) by Arthur C. Clark, but the plot seem to bit different.

Hmm...I fear I was too subtle.

But the original poster has not been since @Bick tried to help so I suppose I'll never know...

If I get round to identifying the story that I'm thinking of, and if it seems a likely answer, then I'll message him.

It might help to know if the story had a station orbiting Mercury or built on Mercury.
But more importantly, it would help to know if it was a tidally locked Mercury or the one that rotates three time over two orbits of the sun.

It really sounds familiar; however I do have Brin's Sundiver that I read recently and that has upraised simians doing the sundives.

I can't find any older books in my library that have Mercury bases.

My earlier post was removed. I was not seeking to humiliate or offend the OP (though I found his response to Bick offensive) but just offer up a little humour.

Anyway, it's Sundipper, not Sundiver. I searched isfdb for books with "sun" and looked for related "diver" words - finder, searcher, scooper, etc., then when I found a very likely suspect confirmed via Google.

Here it is: Sundipper-Paul B.Thompson (1987)

paul-b-thompson-sundipper.jpg

My earlier post was removed. I was not seeking to humiliate or offend the OP (though I found his response to Bick offensive) but just offer up a little humour.

Anyway, it's Sundipper, not Sundiver. I searched isfdb for books with "sun" and looked for related "diver" words - finder, searcher, scooper, etc., then when I found a very likely suspect confirmed via Google.

Here it is: Sundipper-Paul B.Thompson (1987)

paul-b-thompson-sundipper.jpg
Brilliant! Well done!

I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen despite everyone's awesome help. The book is just too old and obscured by other books of the same name and wasn't popular enough to survive history.
A huge thanks to all who tried to help, perhaps sometime in the future someone will stumble across a copy and my quest will end.
Thank you everyone, this forum is awesome and I think I'll stay for a while.:giggle:

Sundiver is the first book David Burins Uplift series. It's a terrific book and series ! :)

And Welcome Chrons. :cool:

Last edited: