Foundation on Apple TV

Valtharius

Thinker
I have distinct memories of watching a fan-made trailer for a rumoured Foundation movie over 10 years ago on YouTube. It's kind of surreal to me that this is finally happening.

Ori Vandewalle

With Seldon being a central character I kind of figured they'd be lifting stuff from Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation but even so... I recognize very little in this trailer. I heard one (approximate) line from the books, though: "Order will vanish... wars will be endless," which Seldon declares during his trial in the first part of book 1, and which I only remember because I once tried to write a Foundation movie script...

Still gonna watch, though.

Ori Vandewalle

It is true that in The Psychohistorians, the powers that be on Trantor were worried that Seldon was a cult leader. He had gathered together a hundred thousand people to work on a seeeecret project.

KiraAnn

I've seen the trailers on YouTube, and I'm not going to get a subscription to Apple+ for it. I might watch it on NetFlix or HBO, but I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
It seems they've added a lot of action that Asmiov only mentioned in the stories as sort of background. I can understand that, needing to draw in people who know nothing about Foundation.

I'm not sure about the tagline 'Change Your Fate'. That makes it sound like the downfall can somehow be averted rather than the Foundation's goal of shortening the dark time. Maybe that's just my take on it.

I do hope this is good though.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
It seems they've added a lot of action that Asmiov only mentioned in the stories as sort of background. I can understand that needing to draw in people who know nothing about Foundation.

A lot of people haven't read it or even touched it, even though I'd personally put it to need to read material in school. The thing is the end we know is going to be vicious and the end of a galactic empire isn't going to be a whistle or burp.

I think they are cleverly playing the overall story narrative and give the audience more visuals, rather than make this to be a costume drama. I do hope they devote enough of time in the Foundation to establish the narrative parts, while the empire crumbles.

Curiously I didn't see any aliens, even though there are aliens in the Foundation universe. Overall I think it is a good trailer as it gives enough for the audience to latch on.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
That's the problem with trailers. I don't know how many times I've been burned by a great trailer then go to see the film only to be disappointed because the only good bits were already in the trailer. :rolleyes:

Still, there's a lot more material to this than a 90 minute film.