Neil Peart of Rush has passed :(

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
I feel perfectly safe posting this sad news at an SF&F site ... 2112 alone would qualify this terrific musician to be memorialized here. Neil Peart passed away on January 7th, 2020, age 67, after battling brain cancer for three years. Here is an article from Rolling Stone commemorating Mr. Peart:

Rush was my favorite band in the late 70s, and I was lucky to have seen them (with AC/DC opening, I believe) during those years. Rest in peace, Neil.

Here's an article about his fantasy inspired lyrics

It's a strange feeling. I guess, in some way, I'm grieving. I first heard Rush in 1980 when The Spirit of Radio was in the charts here in the UK and that was it, I was a fan. Co-incidentally, Permanent Waves was released 40 years ago yesterday - it was the first Rush album I bought, and their music has provided the soundtrack to my life ever since. Other bands have come and gone in my affections during the 40 years since, but they have remained constant. I've never found another band quite like them, and probably never will.

Although I never met Neil it feels like he's been part of my life since I was 14 years old. Not gonna lie, I was very upset when I heard the news on Friday. I ended up seeing them 28 times over the years, the first time being on the Signals tour in 1983, and travelled across the world to see them, and made some lifelong friends along the way because of them. I doubt any other drummer has been air-drummed to as much as him. When I saw them for the last time in Vancouver in 2015 I knew it was the final time I'd see them, but there was always the thought that the three of them were still out there enjoying their well-earned retirement, so it makes me very sad to think he is no longer walking this Earth, sharing a glass of wine with Geddy or laughing uncontrollably at Alex's goofy jokes.

Yet, somehow, it seems fitting that he has left us so quietly, after pounding on those drums so loudly for so long.

Rest in peace, Professor. Truly a legend.

I've lost two thirds of Emerson, Lake and Palmer, then David Bowie, then Tom Petty now this, I feel as if am losing the greats one by one, I felt the same way about the Golden Age SF writers, such a damn shame!
For anyone is interested in listening to Rush to start you off I recommend the albums "Fly By Night", "A Farewell To Kings" and "All The Worlds A Stage".

To err is human but to really cock things up you need a computer!!!
Sorry about this, the same thing got printed twice.

Last edited:
Just to add one further thing, I know a lot of their music and concert videos have been posted on various sites over the past week, understandably so (apparently streaming of their music has increased by 776% in the US since the news of Neil's passing broke: Billboard ), but I went straight to this video. For those who haven't seen Beyond the Lighted Stage it's worth a watch :giggle:

I linked to that online recently, it shows what wonderful senses of humour they had. A delight to watch.

Yeah! I think it's a huge part of why they lasted so long. And it's just a joy to see Neil laughing and joking with his two best mates, a side of him we hardly ever got to see.