January 2020 Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been tied up for several months dealing with family stuff, but I did manage to finish the book Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah. It's an eye-opening look at life in South Africa during and immediately after apartheid. I read it because I'm a fan of Noah's work on "The Daily Show," but I imagine the book would still be quite interesting to those unfamiliar with him. His writing style is a bit different from what I expected. He goes off on long tangents, but they eventually arc back around to the original point. It's definitely worth a read.

Now reading:
A Specter Haunting Europe: The Myth of Judeo-Bolshevism by Paul Hanebrink
Dead Astronauts by Jeff VanderMeer

I needed some fiction to unwind with, and picked up Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames from my TBR pile.

As the story is advertised as about a group of old mercenaries banding back together, I was expecting something like if Joe Abercrombie wrote a fantasy version of Clint Eastwood's film Unforgiven.

Instead it's more like a Lite version of Terry Pratchett. It's to fantasy what Shrek 3 was to fairy tales - a human story set against a background of silliness.

So far it's fun and entertaining in an easy-reading sort of way, but I don't understand how it's won various adult fantasy awards when it's not adult fantasy - it's nearer to Disney than GRRM.

I'm currently reading this one by our own ctg

Till I Die (And Then What) By C.T. Grey
This is my "downstairs" book for whenever I have time to spare.

I've now got an "upstairs" book on the go as well, rereading Earthweb by Marc Stiegler

Last edited:
I read Neil Gaiman's The Doll's House, which I thought was very good. As is often the case with Gaiman the side stories were more interesting than the main plot (not that there was anything wrong with the main plot). I liked the meeting-up-every-100-years story, and Fiddler's Green was a fun character. The 'cereal' convention will probably have plenty of bits which feel familiar to anyone who has attended a science fiction convention, even if the attendees in this case are serial killers.

I've now started Resurrection Men by David Craig, a mystery novel were two grave robbers find their corpse has unexpectedly disappeared after being dug up. I'm enjoying it so far, the plot is moving along at a good pace and it's making good use of the late 19th Century Glasgow setting.

Just reread two excellent books, Alexander’s The Black Cauldron and Garner’s The Owl Service.

Alec Nevala-Lee "Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction"
I enjoy reading about the writers of those times, their lives, and the challenges that they faced. Of these four, I knew least about Campbell, and as this book revolves around him I found it all the more interesting. For example, I had no idea just how involved he had been in the beginnings of dianetics or how close he had been to Hubbard. This account also goes into the whole business of the FBI visiting Campbell re leaks from the Manhattan Project during WWII in much more detail than I'd read before. All in all, if you're interested in the authors/editors behind the stories of those years, then this is good reading. All references/quotes/sources are well annotated page by page at the back, and there is an excellent bibliography which I will be dipping into in time. While there is much detail on their personal lives, I still found the characters of these four, as portrayed in this book, fairly one-dimensional, probably the necessary result of focusing on four people rather than just one.
Many thanks to @Extollager and @Nozzle Velocity for bringing this book to my attention in earlier threads.

Last edited:
I've finished Cold Dark Places by Kylie Brant --- Very solid mystery novel told from many different points of view with a couple of different story lines. Also a very light weight fantasy/mystery entitle Witch Is Where It All Started. Recommended only for tweens and those desiring something very undemanding. Think Harry Potter.

"Squeal like a pig, boy"

Interesting choice Danny. My wife has steadfastly refused to see any more R rated movies after that. She was utterly and forever grossed out and that scene was the key one. I doubt we've seen 2 movies a year since then and most of them are Rom Coms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back