DISCUSSION -- JANUARY 2020 300-word Writing Challenge (#36)

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
The latest 300-worder is up.

As always with the longer form, entries can be posted from the 10th of the month (in this case, January), but that does not mean that no-one can talk about the challenge until then.

And as ever, the image is only there to provide inspiration; your story does not have to reference it, even indirectly.

Wow. It's a very hard one. So many things are happening there. I'm already lost in it, trying to climb up the ladder,lol.

It's meant only as an inspiration, Olive. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you have to scenario the picture itself for this thing.

Oh yes, I know. It just looks intimidating and complex. It is also real. I'll get used to it. Thanks though.

Put the reviews for the 75 word story here and am now changing it. Must have taken a dumb and unobservant pill this morning.

Last edited:
Well, now. That kind of demands attempting something epic... In 300 words or less. o_O Not sure how, or what, or why, but I'm sure something will wander along. :cool: Happy New Year, by the way.

We still have several days to go until the Challenge thread opens and we can read some fabulous stories. In the meantime, if you're aching for a Chronners' short story fix, here you go POLL -- Kraxon Magazine Story of the Year for 2019 -- READ FIRST POST!

Three votes are available, but as per the 300 Worder, they all have to be made at the same time.

There's £100 for the winning story -- so get voting!

‘Jacobs Ladder’ (top right) replaced the earlier funicular railway, which was dismantled in 1871

But there already was a rope ladder before it became a railway. Just as it says on the map: the Ladder. Not 'the steps' or 'stairway'.
The ships on the map - the whole map for that matter - says 17th century to me.

Not that it matters for the challenge, it's just there for inspiration. And it just might have done so....

St. Helena: interesting 17th century. Names to conjure with and gaps to cram strange stories into - which is what just occurred. :) Do like it when that happens.

Back