Discussion - January 2020 - 75 word writing challenge

Rare that light-hearted stories would be in the running for me but I enjoyed both luiglin’s and Margaret’s entries :cool:

True to form, however, My vote went with elvet this month, with clockworkbot a close second(y)

I was suddenly overcome with guilt at not posting, and as I had a few more votes than normal I really thought I should make the effort.

So a big thank you to @etaylor, @AMB , @Vince W and @Karn's Return for the votes, one of which was stealth.

To @olive for the shortlisting.

@Starbeast - you're welcome.

I have been very quiet for the what seems to be the longest of times, forgotten by the old-timers ;) and unknown by the new-comers, only posting stories and voting.

It is not an easy time, but it is life, and taking part in the challenges each month/quarter is one of the biggest factors in keeping me sane. (Well, as sane as I ever was).

I look in all the time and even if I do not partake seeing the familiar names is a like relaxing in a bath with old friends.

Bar... I meant bar...

I have been very quiet for the what seems to be the longest of times, forgotten by the old-timers ;) and unknown by the new-comers, only posting stories and voting.

It is not an easy time, but it is life, and taking part in the challenges each month/quarter is one of the biggest factors in keeping me sane. (Well, as sane as I ever was).

I look in all the time and even if I do not partake seeing the familiar names is a like relaxing in a bath with old friends.

Bar... I meant bar...
Pep how could I forget you ? I think you did mean bath;)

Well to be fair, nix, we do cross paths on Faceache.

Bar/bath is there a difference?

I meant to say I voted for Victoria, all the stories were magnificent, but this one just had a little something that kept coming back to.

Bathe at the bar if you want, just use plenty of bath foam and stay under it. Manage that and I'll bring your drinks over, although that means you'll have to trust me with your wallet..... :)

Honourable mention for:

@Clockworkbot
@Star-child
@Peter V

Vote goes to:

@elvet

It would appear there are many cat lovers among our number. At least three having cat avatars.
Elevet’s story appealed; our family have four moggies presently. The eldest is a little old lady coming up on 22 years, still going strong. And although a little mad and annoying at times, will be sorely missed when she’s gone. Been with me nearly half my life!

Well done everyone for joining the fun this month. Great stories.

Not expecting anything this time round. Happy with my entry, but its not a story!

Excerpt from the Rules - Content section:
‘It is expected that your story will have a plot...’
Definitely didn’t tick that box - must do better next time.

….Not expecting anything this time round. Happy with my entry, but its not a story!

Excerpt from the Rules - Content section:
‘It is expected that your story will have a plot...’
Definitely didn’t tick that box - must do better next time.

I'm closing in on having a long running project complete, and that's taking up a lot of my attention - so while I gave it a shot I'm not going to be too devastated if 'bigger' doesn't do too well either. But contributing something has become such a nice habit that I feel a bit bereft when I don't!

What a surprise this morning! Thank you @Marvin and @Culhwch .

It would appear there are many cat lovers among our number. At least three having cat avatars.
Elevet’s story appealed; our family have four moggies presently. The eldest is a little old lady coming up on 22 years, still going strong. And although a little mad and annoying at times, will be sorely missed when she’s gone. Been with me nearly half my life!
22 years is remarkable. You both are lucky indeed.

We have four as well, and coincidentally our oldest is 22. He is doing well - still thinks he is the alpha of the area, even though he has no upper canines (well few teeth full stop), has limited vision in his left eye, one kidney and is on daily heart and blood pressure medication. You wouldn't know it at times. He doesnt sleep much at night and doesnt particularly enjoy his renal diet but he is a big personality and a huge part of our lives.

1580078003141.png

List of Astonishing Pets

@mosaix
@Ian Fortytwo
@Guttersnipe - VOTE
@Margaret Note Spelling
@Daysman
@J Riff
@Marvin
@telperon
@Elckerlyc
@nixie
@elvet
@Mouse
@Artoriarius
@Perpetual Man
@M. Robert Gibson
@johnnyjet
@Mr Orange
@TheDustyZebra

Well my vote goes to @Mouse. It made me laugh. I also liked the simplicity of the prose. I should say I have no bias for or against guinea pigs in casting this vote.

However there are several front runners that could easily have claimed my vote. In no particular order:
@Star-child
@nixie
@Perpetual Man
@Clockworkbot

Others that I listed:
@Elckerlyc
@chrispenycate
@johnnyjet
@Starbeast

I think there should be a special category of award for those stories that show the greatest evidence of a psychic link between the authors. This month my vote goes to @nixie and @chrispenycate

Short List and *** Favorite ***:

The Irresistible Allure of the Far-Future Scientist - Cat's Cradle
Untitled – Guttersnipe
Security Wampa - Margaret Note Spelling
Cognizant Artificial Telos – Luiglin
Missing – Daysman
Companionship - Victoria Silverwolf
When Kin Come to Visit – nixie
*** A Cat's Life in Years – elvet ***
Amy Starts the First Genetic War – Parson
Loyal to the Last – Shyrka
Of Mice and Men – AMB
Not Approved for Human Use - Star-child

And thanks for the short-listings elvet, Starbeast, and Hugh, and for the nice, surprising stealth vote, Jesse Harris!

Back