January 2020 - 75 word writing challenge -- VICTORY TO ELVET!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of Mice and Men

The mouse sat coquettishly in her box, as though inviting Jim to take the diadem away from her. It was like a game: he’d put it somewhere safe, she’d find it. He locked her up securely, she’d escape.

Next time, he’d beat her. He had to. There was no way he was letting the Grand Lunar Empire coronate a rodent.

Not Approved For Human Use

Matt pointed to movement in the vineyard, “There’s Arthur, on patrol.”

“How long’s he done that alone?”

“Seventy years? Probably hunting mice. Gramps said Arthur was normal, but all the Treatment dogs got a little strange after a century.”

Arthur arranged mulch and gazed at the house: Matt and a woman watched. Matt reminded him of Jeff, but losing another Jeff, Stacey, Nan or Leo was too sad, so he tended his ageless vines instead.

I have no longing for Ithaca

The second moon is just setting, and the stars…. the stars are as astonishing as ever.

One of my keepers has just taken form. I turn and look into its eyes, or what pass for eyes – spirals receding into the Infinite. Hours can pass in this merging.

I remember Earth

I remember my dreams of walking the star ways.

I remember the catastrophic impact, my surprising survival.

I am of the stars now. I belong.

Schrödinger’s Cat Mouse

“Erwin!” A shrill call from the hallway.

“I’m busy mein kleiner hase.” Too late, Erwin remembers he has not locked the door.

Annemarie bursts in and spying Tibbles, picks up her cat. “There you are. What is the bad man doing with you liebchen?”

Frustrated, Erwin recognises defeat. If he can’t have Tibbles…

Kneeling to place some cheese by a hole in the skirting, he puts a hand in something soft and warm.

Damned cat!

Progress Update – Agent Starwalker: Planet KAT367 Species Subjugation

Felin Starwalker:
We’re so close to total control. Now these slobbering fools are going to ruin everything! What do they want?

Grandmaster Gato:
Unclear. Their behaviour is irrational, but it’s successful. Now, go.

<Transmission end>

Starwalker padded back into the human habitation module with textbook indifference.
“Miss Tabbatha, there you are! Be a good puss while I take the woofy for a walky.”
Starwalker's blood boiled as the imbecile canine jumped all over her human.

Everyone Leaves

More headlights flashed, then faded. No one stopped.

Stupid. They weren’t even real family! Well...
Pip...

Gram wiped his nose and set the final touches. Screws and soldering that’s what he knew.

I don’t need anyone else. Not anymore.

He reached for the switch that would flicker life into metal paws, and twitch over nano-carbon skin.
But a bark sounded, and Pip raced to his feet, wagging his whole back even end.

Not everyone.

Worry— free!

“Where did you get those?”

Lewis nearly dropped a little furball. “Commander! Uhh… gift from Decker’s cousin. They’re soft, and they buzz, see? People love them.”

“Get them off my station, NOW! Before they explode!”

“All gone, Commander.”

“Where?”

“Outbound.” Lewis grinned. “Ships’ mascots. One each, no population explosion. What are those critters?”

“Not critters—plants. Buzzing means they’re preparing to blow their spores.”

The comm chimed. [Commander, the Ariel is calling. And Shimizu, and…]

This challenge is closed to new entries.

Voting will soon be open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back