Neil Innes

pyan

Lectori salutem!
Staff member
Supporter
Neil Innes has died unexpectedly, aged 75.
He'll be remembered for his contributions to Monty Python's Flying Circus, the Beatles pastiche The Rutles and, for those of a certain age and sense of humour, the wonderful Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. RIP, Neil.

Hugh

Supporter
I’m very sorry to hear that. RIP, Neil.

I’m one of those of a certain age: I’d love to have seen them at their peak. I did see Neil and Viv in a not terribly good spin off several years later, but they did perform “Canyons of your Mind” memorably.

Steve Harrison

I started The Watcher a couple of days ago and the wandering minstrel gave me an instant flashback to Innes tormenting Eric Idle's Sir Robin-the-not-so-brave in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. He was a great musician and comedian. Very sad.

CupofJoe

some medals you wear on your heart not your sleeve
A friend of mine will be gutted. They got to know Innes a little after they did a cover of I'm an Urban Spaceman and Neil posted it on his own site...

pyan

Lectori salutem!
Staff member
Supporter
My own personal favourite, The Intro and the Outro - I used to know this by heart...

And it really was Eric Clapton on ukulele...:giggle:

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Supporter
He's one of the few artists I've seen twice, once at Leeds University in about 1982 and at Glastonbury in 1984.

The Innes book of records needs to be repeated.

And it wasn't just the Beatles he could parody. Here's Elton

Last edited:

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
My main memories are of the Bonzos and the Innes Book of Records. One by one my childhood heroes are disappearing :(

RIP Mr Innes