Ancient music

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I thought I'd post a few interesting videos I've recently watched on YouTube relating to ancient music and song - feel free to add other ancient music vids here. :)

And also one with more talking than anything, but an interesting dicussion of the aulos used by Ancient Greeks:

I once saw Benjamin Bagby perform Beowulf, with English translation projected on a screen behind him, and accompanying himself on a reconstructed lyre of his own devising. He lectured a bit beforehand, and it sounded like the "reconstruction" of the lyre was mostly guesswork. Can't find actual video of it, unfortunately.

His recordings of troubadour music are beautiful, but maybe that's not ancient enough?

The opening of Adam de la Halle's Le jeu de Robin et Marion. This is late 13th century southern France (Provence), so not technically ancient but it demonstrates just how different medieval music was from the modern stuff. It also shows how much European culture was influenced by the wider world--the Muslim culture of Al Andalus, in this instance.