(Found) Looking for a 1960s-1980s SF novel featuring mercenary armies of differing technology levels

Tiggertim

I'm trying to remember the Title/Author of a SF novel or short story I read sometime in the 1970s-1980s (but possibly later). It was in English. One of the key facts was that disputes could be settled by wars/battles between mercenary armies, but each army had a technology level. So, for example, an army equipped as Greek Hoplites should not face an army equipped as WW2 troopers without some sort of advantage or handicap for the more advanced army. I think that some sort of league was involved. Sorry if this is a bit vague.
Here's hoping.
T

Possibly 'Star Guard' by Andre Norton? Earth is used to provide mercenaries for other planets, but are divided into groups that use different levels of technology.https://www.fantasticfiction.com/n/andre-norton/star-guard.htm

Possibly 'Star Guard' by Andre Norton? Earth is used to provide mercenaries for other planets, but are divided into groups that use different levels of technology.https://www.fantasticfiction.com/n/andre-norton/star-guard.htm
That sounds like it. I'm off to try and find a copy and will report back after I've read it (again). Many thanks
Tim

A History Maker by Alisdair Gray has war as sport...so sort of mercenaries, but it's all for spectators. The protagonist is a leader in a Scottish border 'tribe' taking part in these games. (You talking about a league being involved made me think of this!) It's probably not really the one you're thinking of as it's a bit late - published 1994 - and I don't remember hoplites.

I'm trying to remember the Title/Author of a SF novel or short story I read sometime in the 1970s-1980s (but possibly later). It was in English. One of the key facts was that disputes could be settled by wars/battles between mercenary armies, but each army had a technology level. So, for example, an army equipped as Greek Hoplites should not face an army equipped as WW2 troopers without some sort of advantage or handicap for the more advanced army. I think that some sort of league was involved. Sorry if this is a bit vague.
Here's hoping.
T
Pournelle's Janissaries ?

Boy, I'm amazed. I would have bet the house it was Andre Norton's "Star Guard."

Boy, I'm amazed. I would have bet the house it was Andre Norton's "Star Guard."
I actually bought that, read it and enjoyed it and while it shared that same aspect of the plot it wasn't the book I was looking for. I then stumbled across the right book completely by accident while re-reading some old Philip E High (Come, Hunt and Earthman and Sold for a Spaceship) when I came across Reiver by Dave Morgan and realized that I'd had it on my book shelf all along! If I'd remembered some other aspects of it's plot such as the Ky Las Falas machine intelligences it might have made people's job easier.

Back