What Should Be The Next Great Saga In The Star Wars Universe ?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Now that the Skywalker saga has come to the end. In terms of feature films , where should they go with Stars Wars ? Past or Future ? What should be the next great saga? And if not a new a epic saga , what about just having stand alone films set in the Star Wars universe that are not directly connected to anything ?

Thoughts ? :)

IMO franchises need to keep looking forward rather than backward, otherwise they collapse into self-reflection and introspection that ends up viewing like bad fan fiction.

It's a lesson Star Trek has taken a long time to learn. Hopefully the Star Wars franchise will learn more quickly, and keep away from anything already covered in the Star Wars universe.

The original Star Wars was so successful precisely because it gave us something new and different. It can still do that again, but only if it leads the creative process rather than follows what's already there.

2c. :)

I'd like to see them go back to the old republic. They sadly destroyed the old canon but it was my favorite time period. When there were armies of Sith and Jedi. Plus if they go back there then it's a big blank canvas that has nothing to do with the Skywalkers and a talented writer/director can do whatever they want. But please just no more Skywalkers. No more nostalgia. No more planet killing death rays. The die hard fans have seen that hundreds of times. Give us something new.

It’s a big universe.

I’d like to see something darker in tone and more adult in content. There is plenty of room for both a Flash Gordon and a Game of Thrones style of story telling.

I'd like to see them go back to the old republic. They sadly destroyed the old canon but it was my favorite time period. When there were armies of Sith and Jedi. Plus if they go back there then it's a big blank canvas that has nothing to do with the Skywalkers and a talented writer/director can do whatever they want. But please just no more Skywalkers. No more nostalgia. No more planet killing death rays. The die hard fans have seen that hundreds of times. Give us something new.
Fortunately, all those books and comics still exist. Just because it's not "Disney-official" doesn't mean it's destroyed. AFAIC, it's a closed universe now, and the Disney versions are counterfeits I don't need to take into account.

"The Mandalorian" is pretty good. It's story is a bit simple, as are it's characters, but it "feels" like Star Wars, if that makes sense.

I would like to see more of those kinds of stories, seperate from the main arc, no need for planet-killers or evil personified, coffin dodging emperors, just a simple premise with excellent production values

I’m concerned about the lack of vision that Lucasfilm and Disney have displayed for the franchise.

I’m concerned about the lack of vision that Lucasfilm and Disney have displayed for the franchise.

This trilogy seemed like they just made it up each day with no actual plan in place.

Fortunately, all those books and comics still exist. Just because it's not "Disney-official" doesn't mean it's destroyed. AFAIC, it's a closed universe now, and the Disney versions are counterfeits I don't need to take into account.
I know but it means the EU won't grow anymore. Which really sucks but the salt in the wound is the fact that Disney has been horrible at making new stories to replace the ones they are writing over.

In the What Ifs category, I've always held the belief that the Prequels should have started at the time of Episode II as the Clone Wars begin, then follow with an Episode 2.5 in which we witness Anakin's gradual downfall as he is tainted by war and its horrors (a la Colonel Kurtz) and finally an Episode 3 in which he turns early, becomes Darth Vader and spends the rest of the film 'purging' the universe of Jedi.

But as to what I think should happen next... Definitely stop with the trilogies and release one movie at a time, taking care to craft a compelling story set in ay era of the SW universe. There is no other way. OR, before it's too late, give us a movie set between Episode VI and Episode VII in which Luke becomes a full fledged Jedi Master and kicks ass.

I can't pretend to be a storyteller better than those who created the Star Wars Saga. For me a story is what it is and wishing something different is an exercise in futility.

I don't believe that there would be a market for closely interlinked trilogies like the three that form the core of the Star Wars story. I think that there should definitely be stand alone stories set in the Star Wars Universe. I certainly loved Rogue 1 and felt that Solo was kinda okay.