Third Grade Language Arts -- all ya need for a story

DannMcGrew

Back of the bar, in a solo game
1576788643238.png

For writing advice it is really not phrased very well, is it? Written a little differently, it would be a good enough outline of how to plan a story, especially at the level of complexity one might expect of a third grader.

That So should probably be something along the lines of "So what did they decide to do to solve their problem" and the Then "How did they succeed or fail to solve it."

This is for an 8 year-old, right? If the aim is making the children write one simple he/she does this story with one character, the "wanted" section might cause some confusion in my opinion. Or unintended guidance maybe.

The "wanted" part wouldn't likely evoke anything positive for the children. When you are 8, 'wanted' is what you 'wanted' and what your parents say to that which is often 'no'. Also, the "Wanted" line evokes a bit of a Wanted sign, the ones like in cartoons? Like, somebody did/wanted something 'bad' and now they are wanted?

Yes, there is an explanation below, but while the pointer for "Somebody" is "[Who is the] main character?", just after that it is "[What did the] character want?" for "Wanted". So they might think there are already two separate characters they should put in the story and get confused. Because the teachers will point out to possible other characters. Maybe there was this main character and then another one who wanted something and did something 'bad' and now maybe he is 'wanted' for it? And as the second one is already assigned an event what is this first one is doing, who is she/he?

This is restrictive and boring.

Children have better, wider imaginations than adults but simple words as 'somebody wanted to do something so this happened and then...' wouldn't be as openly neutral to them as they would be to adults I guess. Maybe simplifying it like this is actually making it difficult and boring for them.

Why don't they just ask them to write their own versions of their favourite stories and then their own story after some time? I bet they'll get much better results than this.

Last edited: