AMC Theaters cutting back on showtimes?

tegeus-Cromis

a better poet than swordsman
I suppose this is a post only for other US-based Chroners. I was looking up show times at an AMC theater near me and noticed that no times later than 8 pm were listed. I looked up the other nearby cinema -- and no show times after 7:30! (It looks like they only have late showings on Fridays and Saturdays any longer.) This is a huge pain for me, as I prefer going to late shows (9-10 pm), but hate going to see movies on weekends, when it's too crowded. Is this happening elsewhere? When did this trend start?

Judging from the AMC theater nearest me, the answer is yes. There are no shows starting after 8 during the week. .... Interestingly my wife and I were frustrated by the lack of matinees during the week. The polar opposite problem. I'd bet that unless you have a blockbuster, and it's in the first few days, you're LUCKY to break even on those late or matinee shows. We don't go to many movies, and we almost never go in the first week and it's not at all unusual for us to be joined by less than 10 others. My son and I were once there for a 7 pm showing of a fairly popular Super Hero movie, can't remember which (The second Thor movie?) but we were the only ones in the theater on a weekday night.

Our nearest AMC still has regular showtimes after 9pm up to around 10.15pm (including a 9pm showing of Frozen 2 which seems kind of late for it!). So I guess it depends on local clientele and is not an overall corporate policy...

Our other local is an Apple Cinema, which also has regular 9/10pm showtimes.

Back